Ed Edelenbos

Default Somebody Doesn't Like This News Group

Whoever is doing it is going through several (if not all) newsgroups...
luckily my server has a virus filter and it hasn't been a problem.
I've been getting multiple spams and virii (sp?).

So sad... to feel like you (figurative, not you in particular) have
such an inconsequential and empty life to feel the need to do the
spam/hacking thing.

Ed

Dave Fleming wrote:
Ayup,just got yet another virus, Norton caught it, address list is
full of familiar names of posters to this group.
Be Aware People!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd
Tales of a Boat Builder Apprentice

Gary Wright

So, is it possible to get a virus just by reading a NewsGroup post?
-GW

In article , Dave Fleming
wrote:

Ayup,just got yet another virus, Norton caught it, address list is
full of familiar names of posters to this group.
Be Aware People!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd
Tales of a Boat Builder Apprentice

Ed Edelenbos

Because several have had "To" lists comprised of names of people who
post to a given newsgroup. Seems awfully likely to me the ones with a
list of names of rec.boats.building participants come from someone who
has "harvested" email addresses from here.

Ed

bb wrote:
How do you know you got it frm here? Doesn't seem likely.

Dave Fleming wrote:

Ayup,just got yet another virus, Norton caught it, address list is
full of familiar names of posters to this group.
Be Aware People!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd
Tales of a Boat Builder Apprentice

Ed Edelenbos

No... and almost as unlikely (I think) if you have a "spamblocker" in
your return email address. I think what happens is someone has a
program that reads a list of messages and extracts the email addresses
it finds. Then, the sender (probably automatically) sends the
spam/virus to all the addresses.

Ed

wrote:

Ayup,just got yet another virus, Norton caught it, address list is
full of familiar names of posters to this group.
Be Aware People!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd
Tales of a Boat Builder Apprentice

Brian Nystrom

Default More than likely no one is "doing" anything

Chances are that someone who has multiple members of this group in his/her
address book has picked up a virus that automatically emails itself to
every address on their computer. This is the most common way of spreading
viruses these days. While virus writers are malevolent (and deserve the
death penalty IMO), they are typically indesciminate and are not likely to
target a newsgroup specifically.

--
Regards

Brian

P.C.

Hi

"Ed Edelenbos" skrev i en meddelelse
No... and almost as unlikely (I think) if you have a "spamblocker" in
your return email address. I think what happens is someone has a
program that reads a list of messages and extracts the email addresses
it finds. Then, the sender (probably automatically) sends the
spam/virus to all the addresses.

Ed

You are quite right, also with most of what is refered as "virus" it is rather a
macro that only will "work" with cirtain old , not updated applications.
Realy a virus is not very common these day's and it seem that it is the same old
virus that harm the same old way by adding a blank in the FAT ,that somone again
and again find in an old C programming textbook and give different names, and
you are quite right you do not pick up virus reading mails as this is not how
things work , -------- but if you get some cracked software and realy want to
use that, you better watch for the anti virus software to protect you against
and to find cirtain viruses , ---------- actury those I know who had trouble,
alway's had this, either after omiting standard warnings on the web or by
checking if this cracked software realy is as good as the registrated software.
Worms as this tread is about is not virus but rather a written step by step
procedure to post a mail to each one in the address list ------- kind of a "toy
virus", that only show how little most know about virus.
P.C.

Ed Edelenbos

Yeah... I don't even want to mention the news reader I use lest someone
figures out how to hack into it. For a while, the "official update"
(yeah right), progs would show up as attachments but because I don't use
outlook, the sit there waiting to be run (or deleted in my case.)

Ed

wrote:

Ayup,just got yet another virus, Norton caught it, address list is
full of familiar names of posters to this group.
Be Aware People!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd
Tales of a Boat Builder Apprentice

Gary Wright

Well, I do use Mr. Gates' Outlook, but I run it on Mr. Jobs hardware, so
..exe files don't scare me 'cause they can't touch my Mac.

Terri - are you saying 'yes' that virii/macros/trojans - let's just call
them 'bad things' - CAN happen to a computer just by viewing a post if the
viewer is running Outlook Express? I'm not talking about opening
attachements or running downloaded software or updaters - just reading posts
or e-mail. I have always considered viewing posts and emails to be safe
without the use of any 'protection' - someone correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks,
-GW

In article , Terry Spragg
wrote:

Gary Wright wrote:

So, is it possible to get a virus just by reading a NewsGroup post?
-GW

Only if you use Mr. Gates' outlook to read it. Netscape is
immune. They are not technically virii, but macros. Could be
called trojans in a sense.

NEVER open attachments you didn't expect, especially if the end
in .doc, .exe, .bat, .com, .scr etc. Some have double filename
endings like picturename.jpg.exe and are full of worms, malicious
macros, etc.

Some like that are innocent.

Terry K

In article , Dave Fleming
wrote:

Ayup,just got yet another virus, Norton caught it, address list is
full of familiar names of posters to this group.
Be Aware People!

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/djf3rd
Tales of a Boat Builder Apprentice

--
Gary Wright
Springfield, MO
_________________________________
Larry

So sad... to feel like you (figurative, not you in particular) have
such an inconsequential and empty life to feel the need to do the
spam/hacking thing.

It sounds like you have not considered the most common method of
distribution- The virus usually emails itself to all in the infected address
book.

Where you should place blame is on the individual for not using a current
antivirus to protect their PC. Many folks fail to keep their virus
definitions updated thereby giving viruses a chance to spread.

Larry Wagar
Skagit Media Productions
(360) 854-0709
larry at skagitmedia dot com