carlp

Default RE Balcotan

Many good long term claims for this glue, anyone used it, from what they
state its a much more acceptable glue than epoxy, we know it cannot be as
good as epoxy but is it good enough for my purpose, making up frames, and
gluing strip planks, then I will give it all a layer of epoxy,
and fine down.
Pot life is sound, fumes tolerable, that's all it needs is strength as well.

Jacques Mertens

What are the advantages over epoxy?

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"carlp" wrote in message
Many good long term claims for this glue, anyone used it, from what they
state its a much more acceptable glue than epoxy, we know it cannot be as
good as epoxy but is it good enough for my purpose, making up frames, and
gluing strip planks, then I will give it all a layer of epoxy,
and fine down.
Pot life is sound, fumes tolerable, that's all it needs is strength as

well.

Glenn Ashmore

Balcotan is a polyurethane glue just like Gorilla, Xcell and ProBond.
Same rules apply. 1: Very short shelf life once container is opened.
2: Actual cost in place is about the same as epoxy. 3: Use with
caution below the water line. 4: Keep clamping pressure high and even.
5: Has minimal gap filling ability. 6: Bonds to skin much better than
anything else. (Takes days to wear off. )

I use it for fine veneers and cabinet work where I will be finishing
with stains becaues the squeeze out does not leave sealed pores but it
is to expensive and to much trouble for structural work.

Also, long term skin exposure is more irritating than epoxy for many people.

carlp wrote:
Many good long term claims for this glue, anyone used it, from what they
state its a much more acceptable glue than epoxy, we know it cannot be as
good as epoxy but is it good enough for my purpose, making up frames, and
gluing strip planks, then I will give it all a layer of epoxy,
and fine down.
Pot life is sound, fumes tolerable, that's all it needs is strength as well.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jacques Mertens

Thanks. I keep an open mind and if a better glue/resin appears, I would like
to know about it but this is just another PU glue.
What surprised me was the sentence " . . . a much more acceptable glue than
epoxy . . .".

I can see that for some, camel poop is "more acceptable" than epoxy since
it is bio-degradable. It is a matter of priorities.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

carlp wrote:
Many good long term claims for this glue, anyone used it, from what they
state its a much more acceptable glue than epoxy, we know it cannot be

as
good as epoxy but is it good enough for my purpose, making up frames,

and
gluing strip planks, then I will give it all a layer of epoxy,
and fine down.
Pot life is sound, fumes tolerable, that's all it needs is strength as

well.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Iain Simpson

I use polyurethene glues. Not Bal.... but those purchased from
Screwfix (UK).I am totally sensisised to epoxy resins. But still use
them for sensitive load bearing applications. But for other
applications I use polyurethene glue, not really gap filling but
strong enough for most applications. Wash your hands properly before
it sets and it is ok.

Iain

John Peglar

I'm using it at the moment. Great advantages over epoxy a no mixing, easy
to clean any excess that oozes from joints (after it has set) and it doesn't
blunt tools like epoxy does. It doesn't have the same structural gap filling
properties as epoxy, though it does foam up to fill small voids. I'm putting
a new deck (marine ply) on a wooden sloop and thinking of sticking it down
with Balcotan instaed of my original choice of epoxy. If anyone reading this
has any views on this I would be very interested.

John
.. .