Kenneth

Default vinylester->polyester->epoxy layers?

Howdy,

Vinylester, polyester, and epoxy...

Which bond to which?

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Glenn Ashmore

Epoxy will bond to the esters acceptably but esters don't bond to
epoxies very well. Esters stick to each other well if not totally cured
but new esters don't bond to old esters as well as epoxies do.

Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

Vinylester, polyester, and epoxy...

Which bond to which?

Sincere thanks,

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Keith

Here's what we put on my hull after a peel job:
After peeling and drying the hull, here is what we applied:

3 sessions of 1.5 oz. fiberglass mat with vinylester resin
2 coats Interprotect 1000 - barrier coat
2 coats Interprotect 2000 - barrier coat
1 heavy sweep VC Watertight epoxy putty
3 coats Interprotect 2000 - barrier coat
2 coats antifouling - Petit Trinidad SR (4 gallons).

--

Keith
__

Kenneth wrote:
Howdy,

Vinylester, polyester, and epoxy...

Which bond to which?

Sincere thanks,

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

AB

Basically Epoxy will bond to both.
Vinylester will bond to Polyester, but not recommended. It will NOT bond to
epoxy.
Polyester will only bond to its self. DO NOT try to use it to bond to
Vinylester or Epoxy.
Hope this makes it clearer for you.
http://www.sea-legs.co.uk

"Kenneth" wrote in message

Howdy,

Vinylester, polyester, and epoxy...

Which bond to which?

Sincere thanks,

--
Kenneth

Glenn Ashmore

The basic rule is that no bond is ever any better than the bond of the
layers below it. It depends on a lot of things not the least of which
is the type of paint and the quality of the bond. The safest thing is
to grind down to clean laminate but you can possibly get by if you get
down to very well bonded paint if what you are doing is not critically
structural.

On a cured surface the bond is largely mechanical so you have to leave
some tooth for the eopxy to grip.

JS wrote:
Last year I put some fiberglass on with expoxy, and then painted it. (you
have to do that for UV protection, don't you?)

How thoroughly would the paint have to be removed to put more epoxy on in
the future?