Lew Hodgett

Default Extending epoxy pot life??

"Steve" writes:
Anyone have any tips (other than using different hardener ratio's) to

extend
the pot life of epoxy resin. The 95degF heat is reducing my pot life from

3
hours to only 1 hour or so.

Good grief, if I get 15 minutes of pot life, think it is an eternity.

1) Mix smaller batches.

2) Mix in buckets where the diameter of the bucket exceeds the depth of
mixed epoxy about 6:1 (ie: 6" dia, 1" of mixed epoxy.

3) Avoid laying resin in the heat of the day and in direct sunlight.

Many is the time I started laying glass at 0630, had to quit by 0930, then
returned to lay glass on the opposite side of the hull around 1600
continuing until dark.

3) Work fasterG.

BTW, NEVER muck with the ratios. This is epoxy, not polyester.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Old Nick

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:10:14 GMT, "Steve"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

I think there is something strange if you are getting 3 hours or even
1 hour out of epoxy. 15-45 minutes is about right. What brand are you
using?

You should not alter mix ratios. Araldite was about as free a make as
any for this, and even it had limits. People get quite anal about
mixing accurately, with good reason.

Anyone have any tips (other than using different hardener ratio's) to extend
the pot life of epoxy resin. The 95degF heat is reducing my pot life from 3
hours to only 1 hour or so.

Chilling the resin and hardener? Chilling the mixed epoxy?? Other ideas.

--

Steve G
281-376-2682

Remove the 'NS' from my email address to reply.

************************************************** ****************************************
Huh! Old age!. You may hate it, but let me tell you, you can't get by for long without it!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Have Lots of Logs for Sale make good dock wood 100 year life span natural Ratliff Logging and Management General 0 June 17th 04 05:38 PM
Life jackets Jay General 5 June 13th 04 06:12 AM
Buy a Boat Decal - Save a Life! sailing fan General 1 March 28th 04 07:03 PM
"Riding the waves of life" Mike General 0 September 17th 03 02:56 PM
Just How Safe Do You Feel? Doug Kanter General 34 July 13th 03 06:14 PM