Lew Hodgett

Default Extending epoxy pot life??

"Steve" writes:
Anyone have any tips (other than using different hardener ratio's) to

extend
the pot life of epoxy resin. The 95degF heat is reducing my pot life from

3
hours to only 1 hour or so.

Good grief, if I get 15 minutes of pot life, think it is an eternity.

1) Mix smaller batches.

2) Mix in buckets where the diameter of the bucket exceeds the depth of
mixed epoxy about 6:1 (ie: 6" dia, 1" of mixed epoxy.

3) Avoid laying resin in the heat of the day and in direct sunlight.

Many is the time I started laying glass at 0630, had to quit by 0930, then
returned to lay glass on the opposite side of the hull around 1600
continuing until dark.

3) Work fasterG.

BTW, NEVER muck with the ratios. This is epoxy, not polyester.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures