DSK

Default How to Choose the Right Used Boat to Fix It Up?

... But I must say that I am even more convinced not to
get involved with repairing a steel / aluminum boat after I have read
your post. The learning curve and upfront investment seems to be a bit
too high for me.

Investment, maybe not. You can get a steel boat for a song, and aluminum
for not much more.

If you're already a skilled welder, then it makes sense. A few years
ago, seeing a number of aluminum boats on the market, of a type that I
liked a lot, at a good price, I looked into learning to weld aluminum...
unfortunately aluminum is the trickiest stuff to work, not practical as
a handyman project. But it's great engineering material, boats made of
it can be light & strong & durable.

In the early days, folk who were making boats
out of the stuff seemed hesitant, and they used
the same thickness of solid fibreglass as they
had been using for wood before then! ... After
these first boats didnt sink they got comfortable
and started experimenting with different ideas.

Excuse me, but this is a total myth. The idea that "early fiberglass
boatbuilders didn't know how strong it was" is incorrect.

In the 1940s and 1950s, the U.S. Navy began building small utility craft
out of fiberglass and commissioned exhaustive studies of the material.
Many of the early boatbuilders worked on those projects and knew as much
about it as any designer/builder does nowadays.

... With newer boats they seem to
have got it right with hull thickness and
composites/sandwhiches.

Fiberglass *is* a composite. With regard to cored construction, that has
always been an issue firstly of build quality, as laminating cores takes
careful attention (ie skilled labor) whereas chopper gun or even "hand
lay up" is much less demanding. So choice of materials & care in
building produced excellent cored structures even in the middle 1960s.
The 2nd part of that equation is care & maintenance. If the owner never
bothered to rebed the deck fittings & let water seep into the core, then
it gets screwed up.

BTW for anybody who doesn't think that cored fiberglass hulls don't
last, the first balsa-cored sailboat 'Red Jacket' is still sailing and
still sound.

wrote:
Thanks for pointing out the three different periods of fiberglass
boats. Seem like I should stick with either very old fiberglass boat,
or very recent fiberglass boat.

Well, you should start out by doing some field work. Join a crew and do
a lot of sailing. Trudge around to the sailing clubs and work at getting
rides on as many different boats as you can. Keep a notebook to record
your impressions of the different boats.

According to other people, I probably should focus on boat that are
before the first oil crisis, and that will be before 1973.

Well, there is a slight amount of truth to that, mostly due to speed of
production as much as anything else. But a lot of those old very thick
hulled boats are mostly resin, which is brittle. Heavy ain't necessarily
strong, despite the numerous old wives tales about the strength of 2" or
6" or whatever thick fiberglass in the old pre-Nixon boats. A lot of
what's said around the docks on this subject is old wives tales and
utter nonsense.

... I am hoping that I can find a good solid fiberboat that
needs some fixing and doesn't cost a lot of money

Be darn sure you don't under estimate the cost of fixing. Spend some
time with the various marine catalogs and price things like running
rigging, wiring, marine paints, etc etc.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

unfortunately aluminum is the trickiest stuff to work,
not practical as a handyman project. But it's great
engineering material, boats made of it can be light
& strong & durable.

Yes, you are right. This is the reason why I would ask repair shop to
fix the boat if I get an aluminum boat that needs fixing.

Well, you should start out by doing some field work. Join a crew and do
a lot of sailing. Trudge around to the sailing clubs and work at getting
rides on as many different boats as you can. Keep a notebook to record
your impressions of the different boats.

I am looking for a small powered boat for fishing. I think I know what
I need: A 17-ft/18-ft small center console that is made in aluminum or
fiberglass. I have been using rental boats for years. I need a boat for
myself that I can rig it to the way that I want.

Well, there is a slight amount of truth to that, mostly due to speed of
production as much as anything else. But a lot of those old very thick
hulled boats are mostly resin, which is brittle. Heavy ain't necessarily
strong, despite the numerous old wives tales about the strength of 2" or
6" or whatever thick fiberglass in the old pre-Nixon boats. A lot of
what's said around the docks on this subject is old wives tales and
utter nonsense.

In other words, I am better off examining the boat itself instead of
worrying about too much of its production year: Knocking around the
hull to see how much repair work that the boat will need ... etc. And I
need to keep an open mind with used boats, and don't be too quick in
eliminating a boat just because it was old or it was built in certain
years.

Sound like a workable plan to me. Thanks.

Be darn sure you don't under estimate the cost of fixing. Spend some
time with the various marine catalogs and price things like running
rigging, wiring, marine paints, etc etc.

Yes, I have been reading mail order catalogs to see how much new
fittings will cost. I will revisit some boat yards soon to see whether
they carry fittings that come off from old boat. Hopefully, old
fittings cost less than the new ones.

Jay Chan

One piece of generic advice... types/brands boats seem
to build reputations in sort of the same way sports
teams do... ie parallel tracks, one having to do with
reality and the other arising entirely from wishful
thinking on the part of the fans. Everyone will love to
tell you how great their boat is... this is a good
source of info about that type of boat as long as you
can seperate out the two types of info. Holds true for
fishing boats as well as sail boats.

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, for my limited budget, my choice of
used boats are quite limited. I don't think I can be choosy about which
brand to choose.

Jay Chan

A newsgroup member in another message thread suggested me to stay away
from boat that has broken keel. This makes a lot of sense. I just want
to mention this here just to keep all the relevant info in the same
message thread.

Jay Chan

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 April 30th 05 05:25 AM
Bought a Reinel 26' FamilySailor ASA 290 August 11th 04 02:29 PM
What's a good sail boat to buy to live on? Wilfred Johnson Cruising 8 July 7th 04 01:57 AM