Default Newbie question

Hi all,

Is there a place where I can buy plans and/or take a class to prepare me to
build a knock-off of an early 1940's Chris-Craft Deluxe Runabout or similar
vintage boat?

Thanks!

JEM

Lots of plans to buy. Get something in the same build method as your
Chris-Craft.

Also some classes available. Depends on where you're located.

Matt
JEM Watercraft

Glen-L has several different ones -- see their website at
www.GLEN-L.com
look at designs named Riviera, Monaco, Gentry, Monte Carlo to name a
few.

Thanks to all for the helpful responses.

I am located in the midwest, but willing to travel anywhere in the lower 48
for the right class. Can you point me to a list?

Also, how should I go about determining the build method of a C-C runabout?
I my primary woodworking experiences have been cabinetmaking and timber
framing, so I realize I have a lot to learn about boats.
Thanks again,
Bill

"JEM" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lots of plans to buy. Get something in the same build method as your
Chris-Craft.

Also some classes available. Depends on where you're located.

Matt
JEM Watercraft

Roger Derby

I'd strongly recommend getting a copy of "The Gougeon Brothers on Boat
Construction" (Hardcover-297 pages).
Over twenty years of experience building with wood and epoxy are compiled in
this fourth edition. Extensive chapters on lofting, safety, tools and
construction methods are described with the aid of hundreds of detailed
illustrations and photographs. Over 70,000 copies in print.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

wrote in message
Thanks to all for the helpful responses.

I am located in the midwest, but willing to travel anywhere in the lower
48
for the right class. Can you point me to a list?

Also, how should I go about determining the build method of a C-C
runabout?
I my primary woodworking experiences have been cabinetmaking and timber
framing, so I realize I have a lot to learn about boats.
Thanks again,
Bill

"JEM" wrote in message
ups.com...
Lots of plans to buy. Get something in the same build method as your
Chris-Craft.

Also some classes available. Depends on where you're located.

Matt
JEM Watercraft

P.C. Ford

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 02:50:06 GMT, wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a place where I can buy plans and/or take a class to prepare me to
build a knock-off of an early 1940's Chris-Craft Deluxe Runabout or similar
vintage boat?

Thanks!

I do classic runabout restoration. I would recommend buying an old one
and restoring it. Will be worth more when time comes to sell.

If want a build a boat, in my humble opnion, working with goos and
epoxies are to be avoided. Traditional boatbuilding is much more
enjoyable to me.

Try Don Dannenberg's two books on runabout restoration.

There's a lot to learn, but you already have woodworking experience.
Don't try to "drink from the firehose." Take it easy.learning the
stuff.

Good luck.

newbie question about fuel usage Captain Chaos General 5 July 30th 05 10:47 PM
Bwahaha! Bye Bye Bushy! Bobsprit ASA 1 June 18th 04 10:37 PM
Newbie Question -Water pressure Dan Fritz General 2 June 14th 04 05:48 PM
Newbie Question - Boat Winterizing Shakeel General 6 June 10th 04 02:07 AM
newbie question: trolling without a kicker Troy Makaro General 9 May 8th 04 05:30 AM