Steve Lortie

Default cleaning inside of hull

I am just about done putting in a new transom and moving on to the
stringers. The hull/old glass roven that I will be bonding the new roven to
is extremely dirty looking, mostly black from years of being wet I think.
What is the best way to get it as clean as possible for bonding the new
stuff to. Is sanding the only thing to do? Has anyone used TSP for boat
cleaning, paint preping etc?

Thanks

Robert or Karen Swarts

I have used TSP both inside and out on old fiberglass hulls. It seems to do
a pretty good job as detergents go. I would say as good as it does on my
house, for instance. Just used it today to clean the stern locker on my
Coronado 25 and it did a splendid job. However, you might find greater power
in cleansers designed to remove specific stains. Try CLR for rust, paint
thinner for tarry substances like weather stripping residue. You might also
consider the pre-paint wiping solutions marketed by several paint
manufacturers.

BS

.. .