Jack

Default Chris Craft restoration

Hello all,
(This has probably been answered before )
My wife has this crazy idea that she wants me to restore an old Chris Craft
Riviera. She saw one on a local lake, and fell in love with it. She thinks
that since I am a decent carpenter, its only natural that I could restore a
boat, right ?? (oh my god, what am i writing!!)
I have no idea where to start. Have you seen first timers restore these
boats? If I find one to restore, what should would be something you look
for to not buy the project boat. (like missing bottom, etc, engine really
bad, etc.) We might just buy one, but I would like to give a restoration a
shot. I have already done cars, so I know that restoration work is tough.
Thanks for your time. Sorry for the long post.

Lew Hodgett

Jack wrote:

My wife has this crazy idea that she wants me to restore an old Chris Craft
Riviera.

Estimate the amount of time and money required to do the restoration,
then multiply by 10.

If that doesn't stop you, maybe a frontal labotomy willG.

Seriously, if you have any limits on the amount of time and money
required, don't start.

Lew
Matt Colie

Oh Jack,

First things first: What size and age? In the 50's a Riviera was an
18-20' open runabout but in the 60's CC put that same name on 30+' cabin
cruisers - let's assume you mean the former.

Then (as you know) there are different flavor carpenters - and that is
just before you get your feet wet. A being a boat builder is sort of
like being a an instrument special cabinet maker like the kind that
builds grand pianos from scratch. I hope you are a better than "decent"
carpenter by current trade standards.

Next trick, find one at all - let alone a good candidate for a
restoration. These were monagany boats, and if poor cared for they can
be salvage proof pretty fast.

Read everything you can find about wooden boats (find a friend that has
an old collection of Wooden Boat Magazine) and start studying.

The hull is all that counts. When(if) you find one, get ready to go
after it with an icepick or a good pointed pocket knife. Any wood you
can stick the tool into will have to be dealt with (either sistered or
replaced). Do not be bashful, the sellers usually think that all it
will take is rolling (no joke) another coat of varish on it to be good
to go.

If the boat is not complete, be wary, people do not take fittings off
good boats, and they can be impossible to replace.

Don't fret the engine. These were old flat head marine engines and if
it needs more than the carburetor cleaned, take it out (save it) and put
in something new so you can enjoy the boat.

I have seen projects like this numerous times. Even one done by a
librarian that was sent to me by a mutual friend because he did not know
about how to select and use a plane (then - he does now). He was on his
third the last time we talked (boat - not plane).

Expect it to take a year if the boat looks perfect.

Did this answer your questions? If not - try again. I will be gone for
a week, but I am here alot.

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Jack wrote:
Hello all,
(This has probably been answered before )
My wife has this crazy idea that she wants me to restore an old Chris Craft
Riviera. She saw one on a local lake, and fell in love with it. She thinks
that since I am a decent carpenter, its only natural that I could restore a
boat, right ?? (oh my god, what am i writing!!)
I have no idea where to start. Have you seen first timers restore these
boats? If I find one to restore, what should would be something you look
for to not buy the project boat. (like missing bottom, etc, engine really
bad, etc.) We might just buy one, but I would like to give a restoration a
shot. I have already done cars, so I know that restoration work is tough.
Thanks for your time. Sorry for the long post.

Jack

Great information. I knew a boat restore was an insane job.
Instead of a boat, the wife is going to get a 69 camaro. Now there is
something that I can do.
Thanks to all for your time.

Jack wrote:
Hello all,
(This has probably been answered before )
My wife has this crazy idea that she wants me to restore an old Chris
Craft Riviera. She saw one on a local lake, and fell in love with it.
She thinks that since I am a decent carpenter, its only natural that I
could restore a boat, right ?? (oh my god, what am i writing!!)
I have no idea where to start. Have you seen first timers restore these
boats? If I find one to restore, what should would be something you look
for to not buy the project boat. (like missing bottom, etc, engine really
bad, etc.) We might just buy one, but I would like to give a restoration
a shot. I have already done cars, so I know that restoration work is
tough.
Thanks for your time. Sorry for the long post.

Bowgus

Funny ... I started out looking at a camaro, got the insurance quote ... and
ended up with an old fixer upper of boat :-)

Instead of a boat, the wife is going to get a 69 camaro. Now there is
something that I can do.

P.C. Ford

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:15:05 GMT, "Jack" wrote:

Hello all,
(This has probably been answered before )
My wife has this crazy idea that she wants me to restore an old Chris Craft
Riviera. She saw one on a local lake, and fell in love with it. She thinks
that since I am a decent carpenter, its only natural that I could restore a
boat, right ?? (oh my god, what am i writing!!)
I have no idea where to start. Have you seen first timers restore these
boats? If I find one to restore, what should would be something you look
for to not buy the project boat. (like missing bottom, etc, engine really
bad, etc.) We might just buy one, but I would like to give a restoration a
shot. I have already done cars, so I know that restoration work is tough.
Thanks for your time. Sorry for the long post.

I have restored antique speedboats for 30 years. Two things.

1. Get an expert, a real expert not just someone that thinks he is a
an expert, to examine the boat carefully. Be sure you are restoring a
boat that will reward your efforts in the best measure possible.

2. Look for Dan Danenberg book on runabout restauration. I don't
believe everything he says but it's a great start.
raoul

In article , P.C. Ford
wrote:

[...]

I agree on those two points but would add one other:

3. Consider building one yourself from scratch. There are designs for
wooden runabouts which are attractive and designed for the home
carpenter. Glen-L ( www,glenl.com) has four or five different models of
the type you are speaking of that have been built many, many times by
guys in their garage. They have full materials lists and packages for
fasteners, coverings and hardware so you could figure within 10% or so
what it might cost for you to build. You could follow the instructions
step by step until it is finished. Restoring something means that, for
the most part, you have to 'write your own instructions' as it were in
order to get it done.

So, if it would take a real Chris-Craft to make you happy, go for it.
Plug away at it and eventually you will get it done. However, if I were
doing it, based on other boat projects i've done and helped on, I'd
start from scratch and go from keel to deck with new materials and a
design that other guys like me managed to get finished.

Jeff
P.C. Ford

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 12:00:57 -0700, raoul wrote:

In article , P.C. Ford
wrote:

[...]

Building from scratch is certainly a pleasure. However, the typical
home built boat does not have much of a resale value. If selling the
boat is in any way possible (and most boats are eventually sold) you
should note this.

Glenn-L boats in my opinion would have a particulary low value. One
would be better served to build a more complicate boat.

Hint: plywood is not fun to work with and does not produce a long
lasting boat. Stick with real wood.
Brian

I forget the name of the book but there is an excellent book on restoring a
Chris runabout. I have seen it in the library and at Borders. I would
recommend reading that and then re-reading it since there is a lot to the
project and potentially there is a lot more too ;-)

boats are actually easy, since nothing is level or straight mistakes don't
show right ;-) Don't I wish.

Just remember that Chriscraft boats were built to last 10 years, OK so they
have gone a lot longer. I like them too.

Brian

Mike Sr.

Boy, Now I'm shocked!! One of your group advised not to use Glen_L
plans due a poor resale value of plywood boats??

1. I"ve been doing some reading in books, mags, and internet forums for
about a year now and all I've seen is "Glen-L is one of the best".
2. All I've seen is a well built plywood boat, glassed on both sides,
is so much better than a fiberglassed production boat.
3. A good wooden boat is worth it's weight in gold due to the great
detail work that goes into them and last so much longer than present
day boats. Wouldn't this increase it's value, rather than decrease its
resale value.

So who's right? I do understand some home-builts look terrible,
squared off, with poor paint and overall poor quality. But I
understand this is in the minority of boat builds. The normal is a
"great looking, high quality, well made piece of art, built to last a
lifetime of enjoyment".

Mike,
Pensacola, Florida