Roger Long

If you have sufficient bilge below your engine, is there any reason
you can't use an outboard fuel line squeeze bulb in a hose to siphon
the oil out?

--

Roger Long

Terry Spragg

Roger Long wrote:
If you have sufficient bilge below your engine, is there any reason
you can't use an outboard fuel line squeeze bulb in a hose to siphon
the oil out?

Strictly speaking, a syphon uses gravity to pull a liquid to a lower
level. Your idea would use the primer fuel bulb pump to move the
oil. The valves in the bulb slow down any syphon passing through it,
some worse than others. Molasses and thick oil both move very slowly
unless urged well.

The oil is thinner when hot, but likely would not move quickly
enough to satisfy you. You would get a cramp in your hand, I fear,
before you moved much oil That way, as the bulb does not suck very well.

I use a small barrel type pump to suck the oil out the filler neck,
it's slow enough, and messy, but works. A permanently plumbed hard
line from the oil pan drain and a good small pump, or a downhill
drain, if there is depth enough to your bilge, will do the job
conveniently, especially if you warm the engine oil before draining.

There is a type of pump that establishes a partial vacuum in a
collector vessel, specially designed for oil changes that I hear is
more satisfactory. You may find it at auto supply houses, if you look.

Terry K

Roger Long

Thanks, I think this will work in my case. I have a huge bilge so can
get a good level differential and a container large enough to let it
run all night. I already have this rig after having to drain our
dishwasher until I could get it repaired and I really hate to spend
money.

--

Roger Long

Chris

Default Oil Change Pump

I got the Stearns before you had replied; It worked well for me.
It does need to be primed with a bit of oil, but once it pumps
oil, it does the job nicely.

Chris

rhys

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 08:45:15 -0300, Terry Spragg
wrote:

I use a small barrel type pump to suck the oil out the filler neck,
it's slow enough, and messy, but works. A permanently plumbed hard
line from the oil pan drain and a good small pump, or a downhill
drain, if there is depth enough to your bilge, will do the job
conveniently, especially if you warm the engine oil before draining.

I installed this earlier this summer as per the installation I saw on
a friend's Atomic 4. As I was returning a rebuilt A4 into the boat, it
was a simple request to the rebuild shop to have them tap a 3/8" hole
into the lowest part of the pan. A couple of plumbing bits later and a
brass cylinder handpump gives me "white glove", five minute or so oil
changes conducted inside the engine compartment, and it was cheaper
than those vacuum style oil movers. They work well, but where the hell
are you supposed to keep them?

R.

Meye5

your mouth and a rubber hose , neither of which will break.

Propane Sniffer Meltdown aroostifer Cruising 13 June 9th 05 01:58 PM
Let there be heat! Gould 0738 General 4 November 29th 04 01:41 AM
Loss pf Power problem with Yanmar Engine Jerry Poore Cruising 3 June 26th 04 05:02 PM
Evinrude '84-75 HP- Change Water Pump General 3 April 24th 04 05:53 AM
Can I change my Merc outboard to a jet pump? mosey General 14 October 30th 03 01:53 AM