Junior Member

Default Omc 350 Won't Run Above Idle

I changed the distributor cap, rotor, points, and condensor on an 1989 engine in a Donzi. It will now start like a champ, but won't run past 1000 rpm.

The "professional" mechanic says the timing and compressioin are right, and I got the plug wires back in the right sequence. He thinks it might have jumped a tooth in the timing chain.

Anybody with any ideas.
Terry Spragg

Gepetto wrote:

I changed the distributor cap, rotor, points, and condensor on an 1989
engine in a Donzi. It will now start like a champ, but won't run past
1000 rpm.

The "professional" mechanic says the timing and compressioin are right,
and I got the plug wires back in the right sequence. He thinks it might
have jumped a tooth in the timing chain.

Anybody with any ideas.

Check the spark, it might be weak now that you have replaced parts.
Put the old ones back on 'till you find which part it is. Check
the gap. The condenser might be bad. Also, check for fuel quantity
through the filter if all that doesn't work.

Old tech's truth: If you fixed it when it wasn't broke, and now it
is broke, you didn't fix it, you f*cked it. You need to f*ck it up
so it's the way it was and stop fixing stuff that ain't broke.

If you jumped a tooth, you will soon jump another. Then, it won't
work even worse. If you jumped a tooth, the distributor would be
out, and the timing wrong, 'cause it's driven from the cam. Your
mech is a quack. Did you take the dist out and put it back with an
extra twist? If you didn't, don't do it now!

Yeah, it sounds like a troll, but if that's what it takes to get you
noticed, you just keep it up. Soon, the method will fail.

Terry K

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Spragg
Gepetto wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Terry,
I put in 40 gallons of fresh fuel, and had the mechanic change the plugs. I put the old rotor and condenser back because I thought I got bad ones out of the box.
I wondered about the skipping a tooth on the timing chain theory when it ran so smoothly up to 1000 rpm.
Reynaud

--
Gepetto

won't run.

Better change your professional mechanic if he can't figure that one out . I
think Pinocchio is lying again.

Rey

Brian Whatcott

"Gepetto" wrote in message

I changed the distributor cap, rotor, points, and condensor on an 1989
engine in a Donzi. It will now start like a champ, but won't run past
1000 rpm.

The "professional" mechanic says the timing and compressioin are right,
and I got the plug wires back in the right sequence. He thinks it might
have jumped a tooth in the timing chain.

Anybody with any ideas.

--
Gepetto

Run a compression check on each cylinder. Run a spark gap check on
each cylinder. Check the ignition advance at idle and up.

Then you'll know what the problem is.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK

Roger Derby

You might also check the throttle valve position when the lever is in the
open position.

Sounds dumb but I had a Hillman that wouldn't go over a few hundred RPM.
Drove it (slowly) for weeks before a friend put his hand on the carburettor
and got thousands of RPMs. Cable from pedal to carb was rusted and pedal
was bending rather than moving.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Gepetto" wrote in message

I changed the distributor cap, rotor, points, and condensor on an 1989
engine in a Donzi. It will now start like a champ, but won't run past
1000 rpm.

The "professional" mechanic says the timing and compressioin are right,
and I got the plug wires back in the right sequence. He thinks it might
have jumped a tooth in the timing chain.

Anybody with any ideas.

The 2-Cycle Gasoline Engine winder General 45 February 7th 05 02:28 PM
Just how badly is a small two stroke supposed to idle? [email protected] General 5 August 23rd 04 06:08 PM
Rough idle lybarra General 2 June 6th 04 06:22 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Cruising 21 April 3rd 04 04:24 PM
Idle Mixture on OMC inboard w/ Rochester 2bbl carb noah General 0 July 10th 03 01:32 AM