Roger Derby

You might also check the throttle valve position when the lever is in the
open position.

Sounds dumb but I had a Hillman that wouldn't go over a few hundred RPM.
Drove it (slowly) for weeks before a friend put his hand on the carburettor
and got thousands of RPMs. Cable from pedal to carb was rusted and pedal
was bending rather than moving.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Gepetto" wrote in message

I changed the distributor cap, rotor, points, and condensor on an 1989
engine in a Donzi. It will now start like a champ, but won't run past
1000 rpm.

The "professional" mechanic says the timing and compressioin are right,
and I got the plug wires back in the right sequence. He thinks it might
have jumped a tooth in the timing chain.

Anybody with any ideas.