Jonathan

I have talked to West over the years. They state that while the resin
will change color, it does not affect the curing time. I can confirm
that out to 12 years old the resin/hardener mix will still work, or,
more precisely, has worked for me.

I once "thought" I had a problem with curing, but it turned out that a
guy who worked for me had taken a gallon can of resin off the shelf
where I keep it and a quart can of resin, thinking they were resin and
hardner. The resultant mess took a while to clean up, cause of course,
it didn't harden.

Jonathan

Julien Mills wrote:

"Matt Colie" wrote in message

David,
The tech lines at West are always helpful. You migtht just ask them.

I have some 205, that is at least a decade old, that I got out the
other day (I only use it for small repairs that have to cure fast).
It was just fine, but the pump was trashed.

Matt Colie

David Todtman wrote:

I have a glue up to do that requires epoxy. I have some old stuff
(West Syst.)--both resin and hardener--that was purchased way more
than 5 years ago. I know how to get rid of the crystallisation from
the resin and have used the stuff from time to time on non-critical
applications and it seems to work okay.

But this task is different--a couple of chairs--and I don't want to
skimp. I have to use epoxy on this glue-up because it is slippy and
has a long open time.

Does anyone know for sure if I can use what I have or need to get
some fresh stuff?

Regards,
David Todtman /////////////////////

Place the old resin in a deep container, get larger container with
water , place resin container in the water, bring water to boil for a
few minutes, let cool, the resin will be as good as new.

yeah, I just the other day used some west system epoxy which must be
around 10 years old. It worked fine, but the hardener was a darker
color than I remember. Either it darkened over time, or I just don't
remember it correctly.

Julien