Glenn Ashmore

Default Treaveler arch quandry- Bond or bolt?

I have finally got the traveler arch fitted perfectly to it's pads but now I
am having some doubts before I bond it in place. From the bottom of the
keel to the top of the arch will be 15'4". Set on a Brownell trailer with
the keel on a drop bar the road height will be right at 16'2". Without the
arch the height would be 13'4". As the beam is 14' it will have to get an
oversize permit anyway but anything over 13'6" is charged extra by most
movers.

This is not really a problem for me as the keel will not go on until the
boat is at the launch site but it will be if sometime down the road another
owner wants to transport it. Especially through states with 16' bridge
clearances.

The question is, do I bond the arch to the hull and just leave the moving
problem to the next owner 20 years from now or bolt it on so it can be
removed? Obviously bonding will be much stronger.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Robert Larder

Bolt it. As to "just leave the moving problem to the next owner 20 years
from now", circumstances change- it could be YOU needing to truck the boat
in a couple years time. Regarding strength, you only need so much, assuming
you can bolt adequately- and you can, otherwise the answer would be obvious
and you wouldn`t be asking- you don`t need the potential inconvenience.
What happens if it gets damaged somehow? Would be a hell of a lot easier to
be able to unbolt it and fix it in the shop.
HTH
Bob Larder (who learned in years of maintenance work to make things as easy
as possible to repair).
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I have finally got the traveler arch fitted perfectly to it's pads

Jim Conlin

If the design is such that you can bolt it and beef it up with some compact
(carbon uni?) scabbing that can be later ground away if the need arises, i'd
lean that way.
But, Glenn, i expect that you've already done a primo job of finishing the
parts. That'll teach you. ;-)
Jim
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
[...]

Evan Gatehouse

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
[...]

Bond it. The next owner may not move it overland. YOU'RE
the owner - not the future one.

Evan Gatehouse

Evan Gatehouse

Robert Larder wrote:
Bolt it. As to "just leave the moving problem to the next owner 20 years
from now", circumstances change- it could be YOU needing to truck the boat
in a couple years time. Regarding strength, you only need so much, assuming
you can bolt adequately- and you can, otherwise the answer would be obvious
and you wouldn`t be asking- you don`t need the potential inconvenience.
What happens if it gets damaged somehow? Would be a hell of a lot easier to
be able to unbolt it and fix it in the shop.
HTH
Bob Larder (who learned in years of maintenance work to make things as easy
as possible to repair).

Hmmm. All good points. Bolt it

Evan Gatehouse

Glenn Ashmore

Bond it. The next owner may not move it overland. YOU'RE
the owner - not the future one.

Evan Gatehouse

I was hoping you would chime in. I was already leaning towards bonding but
my intestinal fortitude needed some reinforcement. :-)

The arch is carbon composite and very stiff. Bonding will spread any shock
load over a much wider area and I can't concieve of me ever transporting the
boat after it hits the water. .

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Brian Whatcott

On Sun, 1 May 2005 12:49:44 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

[...]

You are talking of the choice between
adding market value by increasing the reasonable transport radius of a
prospective sale
vs
some present sense of increased strength of a structural part of your
love-child.

If you were not interested in maximizing perceived value you would not
have sweated the many details already.

So I am sure which option you will finally settle on.
The message just has not yet arrived at your consciousness.
Yet.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
David Flew

The only think I've seen suffer damage from being too strong is some very
high temperature stuff. Bond it.

Having said that, if you absolutely HAD to remove the arch for any reason,
how and where would you cut it and subsequently replace it - given that the
final strength / stiffness would only need to match the "bolting" option .

Bond it and be damned.

David

Bond it. The next owner may not move it overland. YOU'RE
the owner - not the future one.

Evan Gatehouse

I was hoping you would chime in. I was already leaning towards bonding
but my intestinal fortitude needed some reinforcement. :-)

The arch is carbon composite and very stiff. Bonding will spread any
shock load over a much wider area and I can't concieve of me ever
transporting the boat after it hits the water. .

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

James Johnson

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I have finally got the traveler arch fitted perfectly to it's pads

I agree, bolt it on if the strength of the fasteners is adequate, and reinforce
them if they aren't. This isn't something like a hull-deck joint where glassing
has many advantages and few disadvantages. And besides what happens if after a
year of sailing it you come to the conclusion that it really needs some changes?
Bolting it on will make modifications easier.

I've seen lots of things that looked like a good design until I had to use it a
while.

JJ

James Johnson
remove the "dot" from after sail in email address to reply