Default MiniCup Sail

My old visqueen sails for the MiniCups finally fell apart so I have
bought some white polytarp material to make new ones. The old
directions said nothing about shaping the sails but the polytarp sail
manual discusses it. However, they also make reference to lateen sails
being self shaping. So, what to do, cut them with a curvature (what I
plan to do) or make straight cuts?
Next, how much does stitching lengthen the life of the sails?

William R. Watt

) writes:

However, they also make reference to lateen sails
being self shaping.

Wind tunnel test have shown lateen sails to be the least efficient.
The lower the angle of the top spar the less efficient the sail.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
DSK

My old visqueen sails for the MiniCups finally fell apart

After how many hours of use? In what average strength wind?

... so I have
bought some white polytarp material to make new ones. The old
directions said nothing about shaping the sails but the polytarp sail
manual discusses it.

By broadseaming of luff curvature? You might try putting a little shape
in one seam and a few inches of luff curvature... the right curve will
make a noticable difference in how the boat sails.

... However, they also make reference to lateen sails
being self shaping. So, what to do, cut them with a curvature (what I
plan to do) or make straight cuts?

If a lateen rig has any "self-shaping" properties then it would be the
opposite shape of what is desired. The leach tension would tend to bend
the gaff or lateen upper spar so as to pull cloth out of the middle of
the sail... if the sail were cut flat, then this inverted shape would be
horrible. If the sail were cut with the proper shaping for
light/moderate wind (ie with no bend in the gaff) then the
"self-shaping" could become beneficial; ie flattening the sail &
depowering it when that would be desirable.

Next, how much does stitching lengthen the life of the sails?

Not at all, but it could shorten it.

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
If you are really interested in extending the life of your sails, why
not try sailcloth?

Oh man, you just don't understand creative thinking & original problem
solving! It is much better to have to make new sails every couple of
months, that way you can recycle the material faster and spend far less
money in the short run, plus spend a lot of time (which of course only
equates to money if you are a capitalist brain-dead bourgeoisie)
communing with the inner spirit of your wind-capturing device...

DSK

William R. Watt

DSK ) writes:

Next, how much does stitching lengthen the life of the sails?

Not at all, but it could shorten it.

shouldn't someone warn the professional sail lofts about this?

the only problem with both taping and sewing seams is the glue gums up the
needle on the sewing machine. I cello-taped the seams of a nylon sail to hold
them togeher while I shoved them through a sewing machine and had quite a
problem with cleaning the needle. Last year I sewed a Tyvek sail without using
any tape and it looks good. I haven't tried a heat sealed polytarp sail.
Photos of the nylon sail under "Dogskiff" and Tyvek sail under "Tyvek
Sail", both under "Boats" on my website (see below).
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
DSK

William R. Watt wrote:
shouldn't someone warn the professional sail lofts about this?

I think most of the good ones already know.

the only problem with both taping and sewing seams is the glue gums up the
needle on the sewing machine.

Why sew them if they're glued? Many sail lofts are now producing glued
seam sails... I have a ~200 Sq Ft spinnaker that I've flown in 20+ knot
winds, plenty strong.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Being a pathological experimenter (There ought to be a 12 step program
for people who cannot follow directions), the polytarp allows me to
economically stay in touch with my inner geekiness.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

Rodney Myrvaagnes wrote:
If you are really interested in extending the life of your sails, why
not try sailcloth?

Oh man, you just don't understand creative thinking & original problem
solving! It is much better to have to make new sails every couple of
months, that way you can recycle the material faster and spend far less
money in the short run, plus spend a lot of time (which of course only
equates to money if you are a capitalist brain-dead bourgeoisie)
communing with the inner spirit of your wind-capturing device...

DSK

OK, I understand. Suggestion withdrawn. :-)

Rodney Myrvaagnes Opionated old geezer

Faith-based economics: It's deja voodoo all over again

rotating sprit sail William R. Watt Cruising 0 September 2nd 04 09:16 PM
Q: sail design and keel Morgan Ohlson Boat Building 5 August 25th 04 08:38 PM
SAILING GROUNDS Capt. Mooron ASA 135 July 4th 04 05:52 PM
tyvek (long) William R. Watt Boat Building 2 June 30th 04 05:09 AM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM