Chalatso

Default Fillets

After reading a good bit on the subject online, I'm contemplating trying
out PL Premium for fillets inside small (under 20') stitch and glue
boats. Any thoughts/experiences/cautions?

Thanks,

Chuck
Brian Nystrom

Chalatso wrote:
After reading a good bit on the subject online, I'm contemplating trying
out PL Premium for fillets inside small (under 20') stitch and glue
boats. Any thoughts/experiences/cautions?

I take it that you're not going to fiberglass the seams? You can't do
that over PL Premium. You're not going to get anywhere near the strength
of glass/epoxy construction.

Whose lives are you experiementing with?
William R. Watt

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

I take it that you're not going to fiberglass the seams? You can't do
that over PL Premium. You're not going to get anywhere near the strength
of glass/epoxy construction.

The PL Premium is worked into the fibre. Photos at www.sinmplicityboats.com.
I tried PL Premium and fabric butt blocks but they were week. The cured
patches broke before the wood spilt. Seam fillets would be thicker and
stronger. David Beede's tests look convincing.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
William R. Watt

William R. Watt ) writes:

The PL Premium is worked into the fibre. Photos at www.sinmplicityboats.com.
I tried PL Premium and fabric butt blocks but they were week. The cured
patches broke before the wood spilt. Seam fillets would be thicker and
stronger. David Beede's tests look convincing.

I should add that plywood butt blocks held on with PL Premium using
weigths during curing have shown no indication of letting go. Also 1/2
inch thick spruce skids attached to the outside bottom with PL Premium,
using the temporary wood screw technique for curing, are doing fine.

These are lightweight 11 and 12 foot plywood boats stored indoors over the
winter.

I've used the ordinary PL Premium, not the cement bonding type D Beede is
trying.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

PL Premium is great stuff for putting molds together and other joints
that won't end up in your boat. But, I don't think it would work well
for fillets. It foams slightly and never level and it doesn't sand
well, What are your objections to using epoxy with thickener and
microballoons? That's what has evolved out of thousands of people
doing this.

Al

for an update look at www.simplicityboats.com

for an update look at www.simplicityboats.com

I didn't see anything that conflicts with what I have said. It's a
great adhesive and I've used a lot of it over the past ten years and
have never had a failure. But, for making fillets, it sure wouldn't be
my choice.

Al