Robert Larder

Default Question for Per Corell.

I was wondering if Per Corell- being involved in traditional Skandinavian
boatbuilding- knows any more about these remarkable boats?

Quote from a very interesting site-
http://www.friend.ly.net/~dadadata/s...n_sail_02.html

" No stronger, finer sea-boats are to be found in the world than some of
these Swedish fishing craft.
The open boats used in the cod and herring net fisheries are, in their way,
perhaps the most remarkable craft afloat. Their characteristics are
monstrous beam and great strength. For a length of 17 feet some of them have
a beam of 13, and yet, owing to the beautiful curves, there is no sense of
awkwardness about them. They are clinker-built, with sharp floors and raking
stern-post, and carry one large spritsail. The....."

Bob Larder

Hi
There are a number of norwegian small boats that is just fantastic, you
still see them around some fittet with a small inboard petrol engine ,
and fact is that they are so well designed that with an engine you will
be surprised how little fuel they need . Still you can write a book
about these small vessels that you find in all scandinavia. But it is a
science as you can follow details in design you will se that each fjord
have it's own design and each water ask specific hull shapes for just
that types of waves. It is like baltic traders they all seem the same
but a closer look will show that they are all very different, depending
where they are build what they was used for how they was rebuild.

Hi
Lots of scandinavian boats are same family, when you know the origine
you also can follow tradision past centuries find details that very
different vessels share but you also find "dinosaurs" boat types that
had their use for centuries that suddenly disapear. --- But I guess I
know what you are talking about and fact is that they still exist these
wonders of small boats where you just give the boat a push and then it
will start move maby 10 meters and you will stand wondering if anyone
else given it a push as so good can no boat hull perform. There are
_many_ different fantastic small boat types ,Norway I guess show some
of the best but also sweden and denmark have their wonderfull small
boat types ,still in such small an arear everyone are influenced by
everyone , so yes I know or rather I knew a lot about specific small
boat types infact that much that I simply had to build one.
Still most of these and the best of them are clinker build they are so
to carry the extra strength and at the same time be light weight but
lapstrake building is a craft that soon will be lost .