Lee Huddleston

Andrew,

You seem to have enough lead, but if you need a larger quantity I know
of a source of which most people are unaware. It is the nuclear
medicine department of your local hospital, usually a part of the
x-ray department. They get their radioactive medicine in lead "pigs"
that are cylinders about 4 inches in diameter and six inches high with
a rather small cavity in the middle. After they receive the medicine
they have to store the lead for a period of time (about 6 months as I
recall) and then they can dispose of them. Often nuclear medicine
techs have been known to sell the lead to recyclers for a little
supplement to their salaries. If you offer to take a friendly tech
sailing, you might be able to get some big chunks of lead for free or
a very cheap price.

Lee Huddleston

Steve

"Roger Derby" wrote in message
nk.net...
Don't discard the idea of wood molds just because they char. Carbon
crucibles are common

Wood molds can be used when pouring lead. To protect them from charring,
paint them with "waterglass".

Don't ask me where to get "waterglass"-- someone gave me some when I was
using a wood mold for a 3000# ballast keel. It is very fluid and when it
dries the surface will have a glossy appearance...

Regarding, using the BBQ grill for melting the lead, be careful not to load
your pot with too much lead. The legs or grill grate could collapse and
spill hot lead on you.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Just Us

Wood molds can be used when pouring lead. To protect them from charring,
paint them with "waterglass".

Don't ask me where to get "waterglass"-- someone gave me some when I was
using a wood mold for a 3000# ballast keel. It is very fluid and when it
dries the surface will have a glossy appearance...

Water glass is carried at most Walmarts.
In the automobile section, with radiator stop leaks.

You might consider using bolt cutters to cut the wheel weights into
smaller pieces and bagging them like shot bags. Using lead for ballast
where it has to be shifted around can be hard on the insides of a small
boat and the shot bags are a lot more friendly.

For a lunch hook, you can use a one pound coffee can about half full
for ten pounds. I've done it in a BBQ and it works just fine. The
only part that didn't turn out okay was that my eyebolt rusted badly
after using it in salt water.

The waterglass (Sodium silicate, sold in some drug stores) works great
as a mold release and to seal a mold from leakage.

Al Gunther Kingston, WA ---- 47=B0 48.1'N, 122=B0 30.0'W

Keith

It's good for dipping your eggs in to preserve them a long time. Waterglass,
not lead!

--

Keith
__
wrote in message
ups.com...

The waterglass (Sodium silicate, sold in some drug stores) works great
as a mold release and to seal a mold from leakage.

Keith

Not a problem... when I worked for Akzo, we used plenty to make catalysts.
As long as there's oil, you'll have all the market you can handle!

--

Keith
__

"Keith" wrote in message
It's good for dipping your eggs in to preserve them a long time.
Waterglass, not lead!

--

Keith
__
All those who believe in psycho-kinesis, raise my hand.
wrote in message
ups.com...

The waterglass (Sodium silicate, sold in some drug stores) works great
as a mold release and to seal a mold from leakage.

Brian Cleverly

Jonathan wrote:

What did you do with the rest of the boat?

Jonathan

Cut it into 4ft x 4ft pieces and deposited in landfill.

If you are interested further, the repair history is documented at:

http://tinyurl.com/6bgyp

Brian C

Brian Cleverly wrote:

I have 4500lb +/- of keel lead for sale.

This is the ballast from a Pearson Vanguard. I've not weighed it but
the vessel specs say 4500lb ballast.

The lead is in 2 castings and is clean due to being encapsulated.

Pix at:

http://www.anzam.com/images/pearson_keel

You'd have to pick up at Sacramento..

Any interest ?