NEILAT 888

Default restoring wooden sailboat

I am trying to restore a wooden gaff-rigged sloop. It is an 18ft. day sailer
with a shallow draft, relatively flat bottomed planing hull and a large fin
keel, built in Holland in 1962. First I'd like to know if anyone recognizes the
description and can tell me something about the design or history of the class.

Second, the boat has probably been out of the water for three to five years (I
got it at an estate sale). The hull is 3-4inch strip planking of an unkown
wood. There are visible separations where you can see light between some of the
planks (from hairline to an eighth of an inch.) Does anyone know what I need
to do to make this boat seaworthy. Do I caulk first and then launch it or do I
do the reverse and see if any of the separations close up when the wood swells
and then caulk the remaining ones. Also, what is the best caulking material?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Neil
Remco

I wonder if this is what is referred to as a "Spanker" class?

Perhaps do a search on www.ilse.nl (dutch search engine). Use the key
words "Zeilen spanker klasse" and see what it coughs up is similar to
what you have.
My brother has built one recently and races it:
http://www.weidema.com/theus/ -- click on "photo galerij" to get an
idea.
It that's it, I'd be happy to translate whatever page you need to read.

If it is a spanker, It can be a very cool little boat to sail -
congratulations on your find!

Remco

Remco

Here's another site describing the class: http://www.spanker.nl/

Remco

Here's another site describing the class: http://www.spanker.nl/

NEILAT 888

dear remco,

Thanks for the tip. I did visit the pages and, while the boats are very similar
in appearance, none of the the Spankers pictured had gaff rigs and the spec
page showed a more "blade-like" fin keel than mine has. Mine is swept back,
polygonal with an airfoil leading edge and a small bulb along the bottom.

Also.most of the boats pictured are trapeze rigged, I haven't found any
evidence of that in the tangle of rigging I've got.

Anyway, I look more deeply into this since the class was started in the early
sixties and the similraities are strong.

thanks again
jimk

"NEILAT 888" wrote in message
Second, the boat has probably been out of the water for three to five

years (I
got it at an estate sale). The hull is 3-4inch strip planking of an unkown
wood. There are visible separations where you can see light between some

of the
planks (from hairline to an eighth of an inch.)

Doesn't sound that bad under the cirmstances.

Does anyone know what I need
to do to make this boat seaworthy. Do I caulk first and then launch it or

do I

If you caulk first, when the planks swell up, they can be damaged.

do the reverse and see if any of the separations close up when the wood

swells
and then caulk the remaining ones.

Caulking may not be required at all. It may just swell up enough on it's
own.

You can wet it with a sprinkler for a few days ahead of time to jump start
the process...

Jim

NEILAT 888

Thanks. Sounds likje a good first step.