NEILAT 888

Default restoring wooden sailboat

I am trying to restore a wooden gaff-rigged sloop. It is an 18ft. day sailer
with a shallow draft, relatively flat bottomed planing hull and a large fin
keel, built in Holland in 1962. First I'd like to know if anyone recognizes the
description and can tell me something about the design or history of the class.

Second, the boat has probably been out of the water for three to five years (I
got it at an estate sale). The hull is 3-4inch strip planking of an unkown
wood. There are visible separations where you can see light between some of the
planks (from hairline to an eighth of an inch.) Does anyone know what I need
to do to make this boat seaworthy. Do I caulk first and then launch it or do I
do the reverse and see if any of the separations close up when the wood swells
and then caulk the remaining ones. Also, what is the best caulking material?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Neil