Richard Nadolny

Default Cleaning boat bottoms

Question

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to remove about
five coats of ablative bottoms paint, short of sandblasting
or sodablasting?

Jim Conlin

The easiest way is to use the boat for a few years and it'll go away by
itself (ablate).

I'd try a pressure washer.

Richard Nadolny wrote:

Question

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to remove about
five coats of ablative bottoms paint, short of sandblasting
or sodablasting?

Tailgunner

Richard Nadolny wrote:
Question

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to remove about
five coats of ablative bottoms paint, short of sandblasting
or sodablasting?

Here's what I'm doing to remove 20 years of bottom paint from a
fiberglass hull.

Pressure wash
paint scraper
Soy Gel paint remover
paint scraper
Soy Gel
tonyic

You can sand blast (Cheaper than you think if you get one of those big
trucks), Soda Blast (expenisive), electric grinder/sander ( buy a
really good one), stripper (horrible), propane torch (dangerous).

I tried all - Settled on 3 step process, shovel first (it needed it),
5000 psi pressure washer second. And third hand grinder (tried 4 or 5
different attachments) Having to do this to a 70' boat, I hired an
illegal worker at 6 an hour to do last step. Also buy lots of plastic
bags, tarps and good shop vac.

If I had to it again, I would hire a sandblasting company... I think I
would have saved money.

ddinc

Soy paint remover. put on thick.
It does not work as well as solvent base, but it
does work (leave on long time) and is not toxic as others.

"Richard Nadolny" wrote in message
Question

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to remove about
five coats of ablative bottoms paint, short of sandblasting
or sodablasting?

Keith

Sandblasting will really screw up the fiberglass and make the hull really
prone to blistering later.

--

Keith
__
"tonyic" wrote in message
oups.com...
You can sand blast (Cheaper than you think if you get one of those big
trucks), Soda Blast (expenisive), electric grinder/sander ( buy a
really good one), stripper (horrible), propane torch (dangerous).

I tried all - Settled on 3 step process, shovel first (it needed it),
5000 psi pressure washer second. And third hand grinder (tried 4 or 5
different attachments) Having to do this to a 70' boat, I hired an
illegal worker at 6 an hour to do last step. Also buy lots of plastic
bags, tarps and good shop vac.

If I had to it again, I would hire a sandblasting company... I think I
would have saved money.

Wwj2110

"Can anyone give me any ideas on how to remove about
five coats of ablative bottoms paint, short of sandblasting
or sodablasting?"
steam jenny