Dick Robertson

Default Fabric cover for Kayak

I'm building a plywood (4mm Okume) kayak. I'd like to cover it with a
fabric; Dynel, polypropylene, or Xynole Polyester. I have the Defender
catalog but can't tell from the descriptions of these fabrics which
would be the best solution. I need a small amount so cost is not a
consideration. I'm using West epoxy. Any suggestions???

Thanks
Dick
steen

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:25:00 UTC, Dick Robertson
wrote:

I'm building a plywood (4mm Okume) kayak. I'd like to cover it with a
fabric;

What's wrong with fiberglass..??

--
steen - menzi.dk
Ready for OpenOffice?
Brian Nystrom

Dick Robertson wrote:
I'm building a plywood (4mm Okume) kayak. I'd like to cover it with a
fabric; Dynel, polypropylene, or Xynole Polyester. I have the Defender
catalog but can't tell from the descriptions of these fabrics which
would be the best solution. I need a small amount so cost is not a
consideration. I'm using West epoxy. Any suggestions???

Why are you considering these fabrics as opposed to fiberglass? Dynel is
very abrasion resistant, but that's it's major claim to fame. I have no
experience with the other fabrics, other than that I know they will not
wet out clear like fiberglass does.

steen

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:16:07 UTC, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

wet out clear like fiberglass does.

Silk might, though. Know it's been used for a surfboard in some kind
of special project.

--
steen - menzi.dk
Ready for OpenOffice?
Brian Nystrom

wrote:

wet out clear like fiberglass does.

Silk might, though. Know it's been used for a surfboard in some kind
of special project.

OK, but what's the point? What properties does silk offer that are
superior to fiberglass on a kayak hull?

Reynaud

wrote:

I'm building a plywood (4mm Okume) kayak. I'd like to cover it with a
fabric;

Hello I have used all kinds of fabric with Expoxy had very good results
with denim . Higher weights harder to wet out.

I find fabric as opposed to glass easier to mold around corners curves etc.

Rey

Brian Nystrom

wrote:

I'm building a plywood (4mm Okume) kayak. I'd like to cover it with a
fabric;

Hello I have used all kinds of fabric with Expoxy had very good results
with denim . Higher weights harder to wet out.

I find fabric as opposed to glass easier to mold around corners curves etc.

OK, but you sacrifice strength and abrasion resistance. What's your
goal? Durability? Aesthetics? Something else?

steen

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:18:41 UTC, Brian Nystrom
wrote:

Silk might, though. Know it's been used for a surfboard in some kind
of special project.

OK, but what's the point? What properties does silk offer that are
superior to fiberglass on a kayak hull?

None I know of, but the guy were looking for alternative cloth
materials. Thickness = weight must end up lower, than with fiberglass.
Think this was one of the goal for that surfboard project.

--
steen - menzi.dk
Ready for OpenOffice?
Drew Dalgleish

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 02:56:17 -0700, lupi wrote:

I heard Dacron stretched with a hair dryer then painted with shelac
over a lightweight skeleton was the latest craze. They look so cool on
top of the Ken and Barbiemobile. You can see right through it. Une
objet dart and all. I have no reports on durability. Isn't there a
Kayak or expeditioning group on line? Keep paddling and good luck.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:25:00 GMT, Dick Robertson
wrote:

I'm building a plywood (4mm Okume) kayak. I'd like to cover it with a
fabric; Dynel, polypropylene, or Xynole Polyester. I have the Defender
catalog but can't tell from the descriptions of these fabrics which
would be the best solution. I need a small amount so cost is not a
consideration. I'm using West epoxy. Any suggestions???

Thanks
Dic

http://www.geodesicairoliteboats.com/
I don't know about durability but they sure are light
Brian Nystrom

lupi wrote:

I heard Dacron stretched with a hair dryer then painted with shelac
over a lightweight skeleton was the latest craze. They look so cool on
top of the Ken and Barbiemobile. You can see right through it. Une
objet dart and all. I have no reports on durability. Isn't there a
Kayak or expeditioning group on line? Keep paddling and good luck.

Polyester fabrics (Dacron is just a Dupont trade name for polyester
fabric) come in a variety of weights with widely varying shrinkage
characteristics. What you're referring to is probably "aircraft Dacron",
which is also available under the Ceonite brand. It's a very light
fabric (2.4 - 3.7 oz./yard) that's designed for aircraft wings and which
heat shrinks well. It's too light to produce a durable kayak. Typical
polyester kayak skin fabrics range from 9 to 16 ounces. Most do not heat
shrink to any appreciable degree, certainly not to the degee that
aircraft dacron does. Dynel is also polyester. I'm not sure of the exact
weight, but the material is similar to polyester T-shirt material.

Cover for 13 Whaler???? SeaDweller General 2 August 10th 04 08:26 PM
Boat Cover - Repairable? Chris General 3 June 15th 04 03:44 AM
??? Checkmate Predictor boat cover [email protected] Boat Building 2 November 7th 03 05:44 PM
??? Checkmate Predictor boat cover [email protected] Cruising 4 November 7th 03 05:44 PM
Boat Cover Cruising 1 July 29th 03 01:25 AM