Chris

Default cutting 316 ss MS

So what is the "best" method to cut 316 ss machine screws 1/4"
20thread 3"length. I have about 100 that I need to trim to custom
length.

Also any sosurce less expensive than Bosun supply?

Chris
Mac

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:33:31 -0700, Chris wrote:

So what is the "best" method to cut 316 ss machine screws 1/4"
20thread 3"length. I have about 100 that I need to trim to custom
length.

Also any sosurce less expensive than Bosun supply?

Chris

I don't know the best way, but I've done it with a hacksaw and with a
disk grinder equipped with a thin cutting wheel. It was just a cheap
Makita 4-1/2" disk grinder.

If you have to cut 100, I would suggest you NOT use a hacksaw. ;-)

You can probably hold the head in a vice or something while you cut
with the grinder.

You might want to keep a 1/4" 20 die on hand to clean up the threads near
the cut. Actually, now that I think about it, it might be better to just
put a nut on the screw before you cut. When you remove the nut it should
do an OK job of cleaning up the threads.

--Mac

Laurie Bridges

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
So what is the "best" method to cut 316 ss machine screws 1/4"
20thread 3"length. I have about 100 that I need to trim to custom
length.

Also any sosurce less expensive than Bosun supply?

Chris

I would use an angle grinder, preferably with a diamond disc.

Regards, Laurie

Matt Colie

Chris,

You give no clue what tools you have available to you.

You should be able to saw them with a regular hacksaw and clean up the
cut with a file or grinder. A little oil will help the saw a great deal.

Did you try a google search for suppliers?

Matt Colie

Chris wrote:

So what is the "best" method to cut 316 ss machine screws 1/4"
20thread 3"length. I have about 100 that I need to trim to custom
length.

Also any sosurce less expensive than Bosun supply?

Chris

MMC

Spin the nut on past your cut first, clamp the head in a vise, cut with a 4"
grinder equipped with a cutting wheel and dress with a file.
I've done this to avoid another *&^^% trip to the hardware store!

Chris wrote:

So what is the "best" method to cut 316 ss machine screws 1/4"
20thread 3"length. I have about 100 that I need to trim to custom
length.

Also any sosurce less expensive than Bosun supply?

Chris

Wayne.B

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:17:50 -0400, Matt Colie
wrote:
So what is the "best" method to cut 316 ss machine screws 1/4"
20thread 3"length. I have about 100 that I need to trim to custom
length.

================================

1/4" SS bolts are easy. Put a small ding in the bolt with a carbide
cutoff disk using an angle grinder, Dremel tool, or whatever you have.
Grab on to the end of the bolt with vice grips and bend it back and
forth a couple of times inline with the "ding" you put in it. It will
break off fairly cleanly at the ding mark. Use a small grinding wheel
in your favorite rotary tool to smooth it off flush with the nut.

This is MUCH easier than sawing, especially if you're doing a hunderd.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:08:25 GMT, Mac wrote:

Actually, now that I think about it, it might be better to just
put a nut on the screw before you cut. When you remove the nut it should
do an OK job of cleaning up the threads.

Yes. I usualy cut them (actually break them off) after the nut is in
place and tightened.