Chris

Default Keep epoxy from sticking

Hello:

What is a good way to keep epoxy from sticking to 316 ss? The short
version is that I am using stainless steel window trim rings as a
form/screed to building up
roughed in window opening. I want to remove the trim rings after using
it as a form to build up area with epoxy. Pam... grease... olive
oil... wax...?

Suggestion?

Chris

Lew Hodgett

"Chris" writes:

What is a good way to keep epoxy from sticking to 316 ss?

snip

Clear packing tape.

The stuff you use in a tape gun to seal packing boxes.

I buy 24 rolls at a pop for just this use.

Don't leave home without.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Meindert Sprang

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
k.net...

"Chris" writes:

What is a good way to keep epoxy from sticking to 316 ss?

snip

Clear packing tape.

That works too. But I suspect that the SS rings the OP talks about, are a
bit tricky to seal with packing tape and still keep a smooth surface.

Meindert

Evan Gatehouse

"Chris" writes:

What is a good way to keep epoxy from sticking to 316 ss?

snip

Clear packing tape.

I've used brown Mylar packing tape for just this sort of application. The
hatch frame was a very tight fit but released perfectly. It's so thin that
you can easily make a nice smooth contour.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

William R. Watt

I'd use cellophane tape (eg 3M Scotch tape) applied in small pieces at
right angles to the curve of the ring to avoid wrinkles. But then if the
ring is going to later cover the cured epoxy then wrinkles may not matter.

Cellophane tape is an effective parting agent for epoxy.

Chris ) writes:
Hello:

What is a good way to keep epoxy from sticking to 316 ss? The short
version is that I am using stainless steel window trim rings as a
form/screed to building up
roughed in window opening. I want to remove the trim rings after using
it as a form to build up area with epoxy. Pam... grease... olive
oil... wax...?

Suggestion?

Chris

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Jim Conlin

Several coats of paste wax. I use Partall #2. If you're a belt&suspenders
person, top with a spray of PVA. If it still sticks, applying heat to teh
metal part will free it.

Chris wrote:

Hello:

What is a good way to keep epoxy from sticking to 316 ss? The short
version is that I am using stainless steel window trim rings as a
form/screed to building up
roughed in window opening. I want to remove the trim rings after using
it as a form to build up area with epoxy. Pam... grease... olive
oil... wax...?

Suggestion?

Chris

Reynaud

"Chris" wrote in message
om...
Hello:

What is a good way to keep epoxy from sticking to 316 ss? The short
version is that I am using stainless steel window trim rings as a
form/screed to building up
roughed in window opening. I want to remove the trim rings after using
it as a form to build up area with epoxy. Pam... grease... olive
oil... wax...?

Suggestion?

Chris

Hi Chris. Masking tape works as well as anything else.It is removed easily,
and is cheap.

Rey

Confusion: Epoxy or polyester? Bonasa Boat Building 9 September 14th 04 10:46 PM
Epoxy under Varnish on deck? Ervin Charles Boat Building 5 March 7th 04 04:04 AM
Epoxy v. Poly rude Boat Building 5 February 12th 04 02:05 PM
Polyester or Epoxy? Allan Boat Building 76 January 28th 04 02:51 AM
epoxy does so pass water William R. Watt Boat Building 14 November 11th 03 12:52 PM