Ilv2sl

Default What wood to use for painted toe and hand rails?

I am about to replace the hand rails and toe rails on my 35' sailboat, and am
wondering what kind of wood would be the best to use. I will be painting them.

Also, what paint would you builders recommend?
Thanks
Tom Hunter

For hand rails I would use something really strong and rot resistant like
white oak. You want them strong so that in that moment when some one really
needs to grab hold they don't break.

My toe rails are also white oak but you can be a bit more flexible.

For paint it depends on the boat and where it will be used. I use latexx
housepaint on my pulling boat. I have to paint every year but it does not
take long.

On the sailboat I use a good quality boat paint but not top of the line. I
am in New England so the boat is only in the water a few months. If I were
further South I might buy a better paint.

"Ilv2sl" wrote in message
I am about to replace the hand rails and toe rails on my 35' sailboat, and

am
wondering what kind of wood would be the best to use. I will be painting

them.

Also, what paint would you builders recommend?
Thanks

Jonathan

Mahogany takes paint well, and is readily available. For paint I have
always used Interlux or Woolsey enamels, but I am currently using Rust
Oleum, which is also a very good oil based enamel, on a dinghy I am
building for my daughter, because they have a range of colors more
interesting to a 12 year old girl than the marine paints. It's also
cheaper than the marine branded oil based paints.

Jonathan