André Langevin

Default Opinions on changing from V-drive (propeller and shaft) to I/O ?

I have a 34 feet houseboat with a Chrysler 318 driving a Paragon v-drive -
the problem is that no parts are available anymore for this tranny and i
would like to change it to somewhat more modern. I have two choices:

Stick with the propeller and shaft model and buy a Twin Disk or ZF v-drive
transmission

Get an I/O and install it on the boat.

Now i get very decent performance with my engine and propeller combination
right now. Low speed (8 kts) operation cost is about 12 $ an hour at 1500
rpm and high speed (18 kts) is about 40 $ an hour at 2700 rpm. Top speed
is 22 kts. I have no experience whatsoever in I/O and i would really
appreciate to receive comments on this.

Cheers

André

Rufus Laggren

No direct experience here, but a couple thoughts:

I was considering buying a used houseboat this spring and found most had
i/o drives. Most of those i/o drives had problems related to 1) age
(leaking seals) 2) corrosion.

Service required hauling and seemed overly expensive. On researching
the units, they appeared to be very complex, with at least 6 critical
seals. Aluminum was used extensively, and in sal****er that requires
very careful maintenance. All the units I saw showed problems with
corrosion. The design of all the units I saw did not allow the drive to
be tilted out of the water - tilt was only to provide reduced draft or
trailering and left at least part of the prop in lower unit in the water
at all times.

As I understand it, all driving force is transferred to the transom, and
this must be carefully engineered. (Ie. transom built like brick sh**house.)

I concluded that the i/o is a hot setup for quickie boats that live in
the driveway. I gained a whole new appreciation for the simplicity and
serviceability of a shaft and stuffing box, and set the houseboat idea
aside for more careful consideration later.

Rufus

André Langevin wrote:
I have a 34 feet houseboat with a Chrysler 318 driving a Paragon v-drive -
the problem is that no parts are available anymore for this tranny and i
would like to change it to somewhat more modern. I have two choices:

Stick with the propeller and shaft model and buy a Twin Disk or ZF v-drive
transmission

Get an I/O and install it on the boat.

Now i get very decent performance with my engine and propeller combination
right now. Low speed (8 kts) operation cost is about 12 $ an hour at 1500
rpm and high speed (18 kts) is about 40 $ an hour at 2700 rpm. Top speed
is 22 kts. I have no experience whatsoever in I/O and i would really
appreciate to receive comments on this.

Cheers

André

David Flew

Andre
You did not mention exactly why you need to change it. Unless the Paragon
has major problems I'd try to stick with it. If it ain't broke .... go
boating.
David

"André Langevin" wrote in message
I have a 34 feet houseboat with a Chrysler 318 driving a Paragon v-drive -
the problem is that no parts are available anymore for this tranny and i
would like to change it to somewhat more modern. I have two choices:

Stick with the propeller and shaft model and buy a Twin Disk or ZF v-drive
transmission

Get an I/O and install it on the boat.

Now i get very decent performance with my engine and propeller combination
right now. Low speed (8 kts) operation cost is about 12 $ an hour at 1500
rpm and high speed (18 kts) is about 40 $ an hour at 2700 rpm. Top speed
is 22 kts. I have no experience whatsoever in I/O and i would really
appreciate to receive comments on this.

Cheers

André

Keith

If you're in salt water, I'd stay away from I/O's.

--

Keith
__
"André Langevin" wrote in message
I have a 34 feet houseboat with a Chrysler 318 driving a Paragon v-drive -
the problem is that no parts are available anymore for this tranny and i
would like to change it to somewhat more modern. I have two choices:

Stick with the propeller and shaft model and buy a Twin Disk or ZF v-drive
transmission

Get an I/O and install it on the boat.

Now i get very decent performance with my engine and propeller combination
right now. Low speed (8 kts) operation cost is about 12 $ an hour at 1500
rpm and high speed (18 kts) is about 40 $ an hour at 2700 rpm. Top speed
is 22 kts. I have no experience whatsoever in I/O and i would really
appreciate to receive comments on this.

Cheers

André

André Langevin

Thanks to everybody, it help me balance the pros and cons.

David, my Paragon PV33 is leaking oil slowly but all seals will need to be
replaced soon. The transmission is ok but i will want to repower soon with
a bigger Diesel and the PV3 series is limited to 300 pounds-feet of torque.
Beyond that the clutch pack will cook itself.

As the boat is single engine, the propeller wash of that big 18x18 is
terrible and the boat can go reverse on a straight line, i though that by
getting an I/O it could be more easy to manoeuver.

Not in a hurry, just collecting ideas and experiences.

Thanks very much.

"David Flew" wrote in message
[...]

scoobs

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 17:46:58 -0400,