Phil

Default Rhino type bed liners on boats???

You would be able to tell if you had rust under the coating on steel, It
would be a mound that would keep growing. Just like you would tell if your
car had a pinhole in the paint and it was rusting underneath. If the metal
is prepped correctly and applied the same it works well because it has some
flexibility and is resistant to chipping not allowing water to get
underneath.
I had the stuff sprayed on my pickup truck bed and it's great. My friend in
the construction business had it sprayed in his truck and beats it up good
and has a diesel tank in the bed that gets spills and it hasn't been
bothered in 4 years.
I don't know that I would use it underneath. How would you clean such a
rough surface?

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
HL,
What do you mean by "steel deterioration beneath"? Beneath the

coating?
How do you tell if the bonding is complete and there is no moisture
intrusion. It would seem that by the time you seen damage to the steel

deck,
from below decks, the deck would be almost gone.
Paul

Lee Huddleston

I have been looking at a product like this called Durabak. It is sold
specifically for painting onto the decks of steel boats. Their web
site is www.nonslipcoating.com It looks pretty good, but I have not
had any experience with it whatsoever. Have any of you seen it in
action or heard any comments about it?

Lee Huddleston
s/v Truelove

Vito

Works on golf balls.

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message
Matt,
I wonder if the right kind of ruff might not be better.

Matt Lang

"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message ...
Matt,
I wonder if the right kind of ruff might not be better. From what I've
read some of the speed swimmers are using a type of body suit that mimics a
fish's skin, reducing drag.
Paul

Absolutely right! A little rough actually has less drag. However thats
difficult to get..I believe shark skin has that roughness that reduces
drag.

IF this can be sprayed on it would be a must have

Matt

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:08:41 -0400, "Doug Dotson"

wrote:

From what I gather over the years, the inside if a steal hull boat
should be left accessable for maintenance.

Doug
s/v Callista

I'm talking about the outside, not the inside. Several boaters
around here (fresh water) have done so.

This Rhino stuff although very tough is very rough .. I would be
concerned it increases drag of the boat in the water significantly ...

Matt

Keith

When I used to work with extrusion coating, the cooling rollers we had with
the machine were mirror finish, and the hot plastic would stick to it like
crazy. We had them refinished to a matte finish, I think I remember
something like a 70 RMS spec. Still felt totally smooth, but just not mirror
finish. That's all it took for the plastic to come off very nicely.

--

Keith
__
"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
"Paul Schilter" paulschilter@comcast,dot,net wrote in message

Matt,
I wonder if the right kind of ruff might not be better. From what

I've
read some of the speed swimmers are using a type of body suit that

mimics a
fish's skin, reducing drag.
Paul

Absolutely right! A little rough actually has less drag. However thats
difficult to get..I believe shark skin has that roughness that reduces
drag.

IF this can be sprayed on it would be a must have

Matt

"Matt Lang" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message

. ..
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:08:41 -0400, "Doug Dotson"

wrote:

From what I gather over the years, the inside if a steal hull boat
should be left accessable for maintenance.

Doug
s/v Callista

I'm talking about the outside, not the inside. Several boaters
around here (fresh water) have done so.

This Rhino stuff although very tough is very rough .. I would be
concerned it increases drag of the boat in the water significantly ...

Matt

Keith

You might just use white trailer house roof paint. THAT oughta get the
neighbors talking!

--

Keith
__
wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:17:44 GMT, "HLAviation"

wrote:

I don't know about bottoms, but I have been selling companies on using it
for a deck coating for several years now. Non skid from hell and zero

maint.
One work boat out there I just re-visited, 6 years on the fordeck, no

signs
of damage or steel deterioration beneath.

What would be good for a roof? Is it available in white? Where to get it
and how to apply it?

Joel

With the rino-liner I would worry about 2 things:

1) weight - I think that stuff is pretty heavy
2) getting it in white - black would be too hot to walk on.

I just posted this on another thread, but SeaDek might work for you.
It comes in 5mm and 3mm thickness, it relatively soft, comes in
several colors, and is relatively cheap as far as decking goes. Here
are some pictures that I took of some samples:

http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/help/SeaDek.htm

Joel

Lloyd Sumpter

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:30:17 -0700, Joel wrote:

With the rino-liner I would worry about 2 things:

1) weight - I think that stuff is pretty heavy
2) getting it in white - black would be too hot to walk on.

I just posted this on another thread, but SeaDek might work for you.
It comes in 5mm and 3mm thickness, it relatively soft, comes in
several colors, and is relatively cheap as far as decking goes. Here
are some pictures that I took of some samples:

http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/help/SeaDek.htm

Joel

I used the spray-on stuff from Canadian Tire - works pretty well. I used
it to line the anchor/downrigger ball/transom wheel/assorted junk "well"
at the bow. It only comes in black, but for sure white (or a nice grey)
would be better. Doesn't weigh any more on the boat than it did in the can
(iirc I used 2 cans)

Lloyd Sumpter
"The Tin Boat" Mirrocraft 12

Dire Yank boats Jens Adolphsson ASA 11 October 8th 03 01:53 AM
Prices on used boats Skip Gundlach Cruising 15 October 1st 03 09:33 PM
"The SEARCH" redux (long, as usual) Skip Gundlach Cruising 2 September 22nd 03 03:30 PM
Is sailing becoming extinct? Don White General 14 August 12th 03 12:38 AM