Jens Adolphsson

Default Dire Yank boats

Everyone here knows who are the quality manufacturers of boats. Even
though they are made thousands of miles away you lot talk about Swans,
Halberg-Rasseys, Malos, X-Yachts, Moodys, Oysters. See anything in
common with that list of manufacturers? All European.

On our discussion boards and newsgroups in Europe we don't talk about
Yank made
boats much, because there are so few of them here. But look at the
ones that are imported into Europe. Corsairs, Hunters, MacGregors and
Js...

Corsairs - completely lined head to foot in carpet. Yes, carpet! What
sort of goon thinks carpet is a suitable lining for a boat? Perhaps in
Florida it never rains and you never go sailing in any kind of sea
where there might be any spray, but here, our boats get wet, even on
the inside occasionally. Mmm, bet carpet is nice after it has got damp
and festered for a bit. Does the whole boat stink after a couple of
years, or just the sides and cabin roof?

Hunters - if ever boats could be described as a floating caravan then
these are them. Does anyone ever sail these things? Would anyone trust
that backstay-less rig to cross an ocean? Why do they even bother
putting a proper mast and keel on them? As people just use these as
floating condos that they occasionally motor around in, a lamppost and
lump of concrete would do just as well. Save some money for a bit more
plush soft furnishings and panoramic windows as well. Fat, ugly slow
boats for fat, ugly slow Americans.

MacGregors - where do you start commenting on these boats? They are a
complete joke. Do you realize that the whole of the rest of the world
laughs out loud when they see these pitiful excuse for a
yacht/power-boat/whatever-it-is-today? Hey, Yankland, the richest most
powerful nation in the world, and you produce these cut-price
zero-quality piles of crap. What do you think it says for you lot
abroad? It would be funny if they weren't so dangerous. People and
their kids are getting killed by these boats capsizing. I'm amazed
they stay together while afloat at all. Never on any other boat have I
been able to flex the hull moldings with a single finger. Never on any
boat have I seen rigging so pathetically weak and thin I wouldn't use
it to make a fence to keep the dog in the yard. Absolutely horrible.
Not a single redeeming feature.

Js - the only half decent Yank boats that make it to Europe. More
expensive and not as nice as the X-Yachts, to which they are similar.
Result, lots of X-Yachts here, not many Js.

We hardly ever see a Yank boat here in Northern Europe that has sailed
across the Atlantic. Wonder why that is then? Because you are all
sitting around sipping drinks in your Hunters. You know that your
boats couldn't make it across an ocean, so you don't even try. Would
you lot even recognize a blue water cruiser if you saw one? Judging by
the fact that one prolific contributor to this board thinks his crappy
little 27 footer is a blue water boat just because he lives on it, I
don't think so. A blue water boat here is one that can sail
independently across an ocean, not a bloat boat that is sailed across
a bay where the water just happens to be blue. It has to carry
everything to support the crew in whatever situation might arise for
months and beyond. It has to be strong, tough, heavy, and
exceptionally well made by craftsmen, not chucked out from some
production line at a rate of 6 a day, or knocked up in some backyard
where a couple of cowboys make a handful and then disappear.

These quality blue-water boats come from long established boat
builders with a quality reputation to uphold, which they do by
producing time-and-again long-lasting quality boats. Our quality boats
are sold in the US market and are recognized as being world-class. Yet
your stuff that is sold in our market is throw-away trash. Perhaps you
don't have any quality boat builders at all and we have to show you
how it's done. Certainly seems like that from here. Who's your
Halberg-Rassey?
DSK

Jens Adolphsson wrote:

Everyone here knows who are the quality manufacturers of boats. Even
though they are made thousands of miles away you lot talk about Swans,
Halberg-Rasseys, Malos, X-Yachts, Moodys, Oysters. See anything in
common with that list of manufacturers? All European.

How about Morris, Hinckley, Carroll, New Orleans Marine, Melges Boat
Works, Holby, Goetz, the list goes on and on.

On our discussion boards and newsgroups in Europe we don't talk about
Yank made
boats much, because there are so few of them here.

That's because there are more rich Americans who can afford to import
European yachts than there are rich Europeans who can afford an expensive
American yacht... and pay the insufferable tariffs.

.... What
sort of goon thinks carpet is a suitable lining for a boat?

What sort of goon thinks it isn't?

Perhaps in
Florida it never rains and you never go sailing in any kind of sea
where there might be any spray, but here, our boats get wet, even on
the inside occasionally. Mmm, bet carpet is nice after it has got damp
and festered for a bit.

Here is America, we have the technology to dry our boats out.
Occasionally, we even clean them. This is literally a foreign concept,
isn't it? Do the words even exist in your native language?

Js - the only half decent Yank boats that make it to Europe. More
expensive and not as nice as the X-Yachts, to which they are similar.
Result, lots of X-Yachts here, not many Js.

You don't know much, do you. J-boats are built by Tillotson-Pearson, along
with many other 'brands' of boat and other molded components.

Does anybody else think the author of this ill-informed rant is actually
somebody we've seen before (and unfortunately will again)?

DSK

Jeff Morris

In Rhode Island alone: Freedom, J, New England Boatworks (Quest), Ted Hood (now owned by
Hinckley), Alden, Carroll, Goetz, Alerion, Shannon, Bristol.

In Maine, also Robinhood and Sabre, and a whole passel of custom builders. In Mass we
have Cape Cod Shipbuilding, Eddy and Duff, plus a number of custom builders.

Because many high quality boats are made by small yards in the U.S., they don't often get
exported to Europe because of regulatory issues and import duties. Only the high volume,
often lower quality boats builders make the effort to get "CE" certification.

"DSK" wrote in message ...

Jens Adolphsson wrote:

[...]

John Cairns

"Jens Adolphsson" wrote in message
m...

Troll on brother. One little bit of advice. Try not to be so obvious.
John Cairns

Scott Vernon

Nice trolling there, 'Jens'. Are europeans really stupid enough to by
Macs?

--
Scott Vernon
Plowville PA __/)__/)__

"Jens Adolphsson" wrote ...
Everyone here knows THIS IS A TROLL

Donal

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Nice trolling there, 'Jens'. Are europeans really stupid enough to by
Macs?

I know someone who owns a Mac26x! So, I guess that some Europeans are
stupid enough to buy them.

Regards

Donal

SAIL LOCO

You gotta get out more often. I think J has sold a couple of boats in Europe.
In fact the new J109 was introduced there a couple of years ago. I also think
a few 1D35, MUMM 30, Farr, Melges, Sabre boats have been sold there.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Donal

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
You gotta get out more often. I think J has sold a couple of boats in

Europe.
In fact the new J109 was introduced there a couple of years ago.

I've seen it. It is almost as fast as my boat , but it feels very
basic(cheap??) down below.

I also think
a few 1D35, MUMM 30, Farr, Melges, Sabre boats have been sold there.

I haven't heard of the 1D35, but I was under the impression that the Melges
was a European boat. However, I did a Google, and it looks like I was
wrong. I found this:-
http://www.sailinganarchy.com/innerv...rry_melges.htm

I *reeeally* like the first two sailing photos on that page!

Regards

Donal

Capt. Mooron

"The Captains Nemesis" wrote in message

| There's one parked in the street not far from my home.
| I think it's owned by a Yank.

Does he have more money than you... and does he wear a Greek Fisherman's Cap
as well?

CM

Capt. Mooron

"The Captains Nemesis" wrote in message

| No on both counts..AFAIK...but he does have a US flag on the transom
| right next to the 40HP Yammy.

Well that settles it then... if he was a real Yank... he'd have a friggin'
Merc on there!

CM