posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.boats.building,sci.engr.joining.welding

Default Retail Source 5052 PIPE (not thin wall tube) USA

I've been working on another boat project and looking through various
manufacturers websites I've found that aluminum water pipe might be the
best solution for one aspect. I want a 5052 pipe a wall thickness
greater than the available tube I have found. Schedule water pipe seems
to be a solution that exists. A few manufacturers do list it on their
website, but I can't seem to find any "retail" at any of my usual
sources. In fact very few seem to even have thin wall tube in 5052.

The first question some might ask is, "What's wrong with 6061? 6061
water pipe is available as is thicker wall 6061 tube." I want 5052 and
6061 isn't 5052. If I wanted to settle I would not need to make this
post.

Cross posted to related groups only:

rec.crafts.metalworking
rec.boats.building
sci.engr.joining.welding

https://www.avg.com

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

I've been working on another boat project and looking through various
manufacturers websites I've found that aluminum water pipe might be the
best solution for one aspect. I want a 5052 pipe a wall thickness
greater than the available tube I have found. Schedule water pipe seems
to be a solution that exists. A few manufacturers do list it on their
website, but I can't seem to find any "retail" at any of my usual
sources. In fact very few seem to even have thin wall tube in 5052.

The first question some might ask is, "What's wrong with 6061? 6061
water pipe is available as is thicker wall 6061 tube." I want 5052 and
6061 isn't 5052. If I wanted to settle I would not need to make this
post.

Cross posted to related groups only:

rec.crafts.metalworking
rec.boats.building
sci.engr.joining.welding

Diameter, schedule/wall thickness, length, total quantity?

--
Regards,
Carl Ijames
[...]

--------------------------------

I think these were cut from aluminum irrigation(?) pipe.
https://warriorprincess.fandom.com/wiki/Chakram

On 1/12/2021 2:52 PM, Carl wrote:
[...]

Are you a vendor seeking to quote or do you know of a retail (online)
source for 5052 aluminum pipe?

I've spent a bit of time looking and I think its as much what is
available to me as it is what size I would really like. What I would
really like is 5052 extrusions to fit the application, but what I have
found to fit the application that is not proprietary is all 6061.

1-1/4 schedule 40 and 3/4 schedule 40. About 120 feet of each.

https://www.avg.com

On 1/12/2021 3:26 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe"Â* wrote in message ...
I've been working on another boat project and looking through various
manufacturers websites I've found that aluminum water pipe might be the
best solution for one aspect.Â* I want a 5052 pipe a wall thickness
greater than the available tube I have found.Â* Schedule water pipe seems
to be a solution that exists.Â* A few manufacturers do list it on their
website, but I can't seem to find any "retail" at any of my usual
sources.Â* In fact very few seem to even have thin wall tube in 5052.

The first question some might ask is, "What's wrong with 6061?Â* 6061
water pipe is available as is thicker wall 6061 tube."Â* I want 5052 and
6061 isn't 5052.Â* If I wanted to settle I would not need to make this post.

Cross posted to related groups only:

rec.crafts.metalworking
rec.boats.building
sci.engr.joining.welding

I think these were cut from aluminum irrigation(?) pipe.
https://warriorprincess.fandom.com/wiki/Chakram

That would be some hellacious irrigation pipe. I've got a buddy who
owns a several miles of irrigation pipe upto 12 inches. None of it is
that thick.

I think its more likely it was cut from plate. There are even aluminum
vendors who list circle (ring) cuts as standard order items on their
websites. https://www.xometry.com/supplies/aluminum-6061-t6-ring

https://www.avg.com

On 1/12/2021 2:52 PM, Carl wrote:
[...]

Not a vendor. Among other hats I wore at my last job I did a lot of the
material purchasing for the machine shop and thought I'd maybe try some of
the local vendors I used to deal with but I didn't know what to ask for.
Doubt they will have anything other than 6061 in stock but thought it would
be worth a phone call.

[...]

--------------------------

That's what I read, about the show's original props. The replicas seem to be
cut from plate. I remember because I was surprised they would have pipe like
that Down Under. Perhaps it carried water up into the New Zealand mountains
where the show was filmed.

I burned through more than a day's internet ration looking for thick-walled
tubing for hydraulics or to make deep submersible hulls. I have a use for
6063 T-1 rigid aluminum electrical conduit but I haven't found a local
source.
https://www.alliedeg.us/wp-content/u...ngs-elbows.pdf

wall street moves to destroy 'occupy wall street' bpuharic General 64 November 26th 11 11:08 PM
Wall to wall Gustav Live WWL-TV4 Larry Cruising 0 September 1st 08 01:49 AM
Anchor Locker Pipe source? Doug Dotson Cruising 1 December 13th 04 06:04 PM
Retail Battery Source Michael Cruising 7 September 22nd 04 02:57 PM
how to get new electronics at prices that are way under retail Riebel Shop Electronics Electronics 0 November 12th 03 11:18 PM