posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

Default Ping- Tosk

Scotty,
In a previous thread, you wrote about using warmed epoxy resin as a sanding
primer. How warm should the resin be? I'm making a new wooden icebox hatch
with 1 1/2 urethane foam insulation and want to protect the wood. I'm also
going to encapsulate the foam with epoxy.
Also, a local boat stuff store is selling MAS epoxy at a better price than
West System thru West Marine. What do you think of MAS? I have West for this
project but the price on this stuff is ridiculous.

Thanks.

posted to rec.boats.building

In article om,
says...

Scotty,
In a previous thread, you wrote about using warmed epoxy resin as a sanding
primer. How warm should the resin be? I'm making a new wooden icebox hatch
with 1 1/2 urethane foam insulation and want to protect the wood. I'm also
going to encapsulate the foam with epoxy.
Also, a local boat stuff store is selling MAS epoxy at a better price than
West System thru West Marine. What do you think of MAS? I have West for this
project but the price on this stuff is ridiculous.

Thanks.

Well, I have been out of it for a few years but for a "non-structural"
component my feeling is, Epoxy is Epoxy. I think there may be slight
differences between mixtures, catalyst, manufacturers etc, but in my
opinion, Epoxy is so overkill (used properly) for our purposes, it
really doesn't matter (much) which one (brand) you use.... I think MAS
has a good reputation, I always used Larry at Raka.com, he helped me a
lot when I first was getting started. As to using "warm" Epoxy I think
my brain was really flashing back to those winter builds.. What I would
do is use "room temp" epoxy thinned about 8-10% as a thin sanding
sealer. Putting it on thin and warm lets it soak in a bit and raises the
grain. If you put it on about 80 degrees, it will set up faster but
still, thin coats of epoxy cure slowly as the top really never cures
completely. Truth be told, it is (probably) cheaper and faster to use
proper sanding sealer, but I used the resin because it was handy and I
bought it in bulk... cheap... If you really want to seal the top, I
would lay down a laminate of 4 oz tight weave fiberglass cloth on the
inside of the top, and maybe over the foam insulation and seal it. I
would not seal the outside with resin though, I would paint it and allow
for moisture that did get in, to breathe out but that is another story
all together... HTH, Scotty

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - When you are not training, someone else is
training, to KICK YOUR ASS!
posted to rec.boats.building

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 13:13:44 -0500, I am Tosk
wrote:

[...]

What are you using to thin the epoxy? I've tried most everything I
could think of (including gasoline) and nothing was what I would
really call satisfactory. Several didn't do a very good job of mixing
with and thinning the epoxy and the ones that actually mixed with the
epoxy and thinned it seemed to evaporate before I used all of the
mixed batch, say 130 gms mixed, and the last of the batch was back to
its normal consistency. Acetone seemed to do the best job of thinning
the batch but as I say seems to evaporate faster then I used the mix.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

I use Acetone with the Epoxy I was getting from Raka.

--
Rowdy Mouse Racing - Pain is temporary, Glory is forever!

"I am Tosk" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Scotty.

" Little man " Tosk is bleeding heavy today....... *e#c General 0 September 20th 10 02:52 AM
" Little " man Tosk........... *e#c General 0 September 16th 10 06:10 PM
Giving Little Man Tosk the Credit He Deserves Secular Humanist General 18 August 24th 10 03:37 PM
For little man tosk Harry[_6_] General 0 August 12th 10 11:38 AM
Finally, a high-tech job even an idiot like Scott "Tosk* Ingersollcould handle... H the K[_4_] General 4 November 18th 09 10:37 PM