posted to rec.boats.building

Default So sad when groups get taken over by spammers

Sad
posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"UnlikelyBoatBuilder" wrote in message
Sad

so post something.

posted to rec.boats.building

On 7/29/2010 4:27 PM, mmc wrote:

I just use road runner and outlook express. I get a few but it only takes a
few seconds to block them.

A lot of people access through Google Newsgroups, and I understand that
it does spam filtering.

I access using the regular Charter newsgroups server and live with the
spam. I am reluctant to use anything that doesn't indicate when it isn't
showing me something that was there.
~

"DougC" wrote in message
On 7/29/2010 4:27 PM, mmc wrote:

I just use road runner and outlook express. I get a few but it only takes
few seconds to block them.

A lot of people access through Google Newsgroups, and I understand that it
does spam filtering.

I access using the regular Charter newsgroups server and live with the
spam. I am reluctant to use anything that doesn't indicate when it isn't
showing me something that was there.
~

I'm thinking the OP was complaining that there isn't enough activity on the
NG. Not doing anything to try and rectify the siutation, like posting
something related to boat building, just complaining.

On 7/30/2010 8:49 AM, mmc wrote:
wrote in message
On 7/29/2010 4:27 PM, mmc wrote:

I just use road runner and outlook express. I get a few but it only takes
few seconds to block them.

A lot of people access through Google Newsgroups, and I understand that it
does spam filtering.

I access using the regular Charter newsgroups server and live with the
spam. I am reluctant to use anything that doesn't indicate when it isn't
showing me something that was there.
~

I'm thinking the OP was complaining that there isn't enough activity on the
NG. Not doing anything to try and rectify the siutation, like posting
something related to boat building, just complaining.

Well to that end--spammers cannot "take over" a newsgroup, in that they
keep others from making real posts.

My guess is there's just not a lot of people building boats right now
(is it mostly a winter hobby I wonder?) and the people who build boats a
lot don't have time to browse newsgroups.

---------

At least if you're using wood or fiberglass, you can /find/ regular
evidence of others also building. I've been looking for anything on
home-building small aluminum boats, and there's hardly nothing at all.
~
posted to rec.boats.building

On Jul 28, 10:15*pm, UnlikelyBoatBuilder wrote:
Sad

Hi,

Is this John A. of celestial nav fame that I am replying to?
posted to rec.boats.building

yep

Stupid Spammers... Tim General 65 July 10th 10 01:48 AM
Environmental groups Gordon Cruising 1 March 3rd 08 06:41 PM
earthlink groups jiminfl General 16 June 2nd 06 10:03 PM
Prindle Groups? sbassett General 2 March 6th 06 10:55 AM
Where are all the groups? Backyard Renegade General 1 September 30th 03 02:54 PM