posted to rec.boats.building

Default Didn't winterize my outboard... HELP!!!

I know, I know, I'm, a horrible person, but I just bought a boat at
the end of last year and never winterized the outboard. It was garage
kept but it still got pretty cold this winter. Can anyone please help
me with what I need to do to get my engine back in order and ready for
the season? Is my only choice to bring it someplace? How bad do you
think I damaged the engine by not winterizing it?
Thanks,
Mike

Michael D wrote:
I know, I know, I'm, a horrible person, but I just bought a boat at
the end of last year and never winterized the outboard. It was garage
kept but it still got pretty cold this winter. Can anyone please help
me with what I need to do to get my engine back in order and ready for
the season? Is my only choice to bring it someplace? How bad do you
think I damaged the engine by not winterizing it?
Thanks,
Mike

probably didn't hurt it at all (assuming no water in it to freeze).

not likely cylinders have 'rusted' enough not to move.
Even old gasoline will probably still be OK

sort of like your lawn mower - few folks winterize them....
So if it turns when you pull the cord probably OK -

I would check the spark plugs, change the oil if it has it, fresh gas,
maybe carb cleaner , make sure water pump is working (no water in it

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 15:26:46 -0700, Michael D wrote:

I know, I know, I'm, a horrible person, but I just bought a boat at the
end of last year and never winterized the outboard. It was garage kept
but it still got pretty cold this winter. Can anyone please help me
with what I need to do to get my engine back in order and ready for the
season? Is my only choice to bring it someplace? How bad do you think
I damaged the engine by not winterizing it? Thanks,

Yeah I agree, probably didn't do it any harm. I had an old Johnson 135
for years, don't remember winterizing it all that often, just tuned it
up in the spring.