posted to rec.boats.building

Default Caledonia Yawl plans seven strake version

Even if you could, it would be illegal to build his design without his permission unless he has specifically sold the intellectual
rights to the vendor.
Steve

"Borisd" wrote in message ...
Hi
Is there an easy way to purchase Caledonia Yawl plans seven strake
version online or do I have to contact Ian Oughtred by phone or slow
mail.
Thanks
Boris Dobrowolsky

posted to rec.boats.building

Hull plans are automatically protected under the existing intellectual rights laws, just like any other intellectual rights. That
does not mean these rules are not often violated and persecutions do not follow, as that choice is up to the owner. I assure you,
if you built one of my designs without permission, I would prosecute. These rules are just like software. If the author places the
software into the public domain explicitly stating it is free to use, no problem. It is the same for hull designs. Ironically,
people insist on doing this and it is not only illegal, it is financially foolish. If a builder is prepared to invest in the
construction of a design, paying a nominal design fee authorizes the builder to consult the designer for advice and interpretation
of specs, which is very cheap project insurance.
Steve

"I am Tosk" wrote in message ...
In article , says...

Even if you could, it would be illegal to build his design without his permission unless he has specifically sold the
intellectual
rights to the vendor.
Steve

You can't trademark or otherwise protect a boat hull plan...

Scotty from SmallBoats.com

--
Can I haz Cheezeburger?

[...]

"I am Tosk" wrote in message ...
In article ,
says...

"Borisd" wrote in message ...
Hi
Is there an easy way to purchase Caledonia Yawl plans seven strake
version online or do I have to contact Ian Oughtred by phone or slow
mail.
Thanks
Boris Dobrowolsky

--
Can I haz Cheezeburger?

I am sorry, I did add a word there. I should have said, you can't trademark or
protect a hull design... The plans can be protected, but I could splash your
hull and sell it right next door to you..

Scotty

--
Can I haz Cheezeburger?

The difference between a yawl and a ketch Bart ASA 10 September 22nd 07 09:59 PM
Yawl Thom Stewart ASA 1 August 19th 06 05:39 PM
i want info on Zeeland 37 Yawl nirvan Cruising 1 May 30th 06 12:52 AM
Garboard strake? Nav ASA 9 December 14th 04 11:17 PM
Proper flag protocol for Cat Yawl rig. Bruce Hallman Cruising 7 June 22nd 04 02:58 PM