Nav

Default Garboard strake?

What is the origin of garboard? There seems no clear description of it's
origin in the OED. The lack of reference suggest it came from elsewhere
and the French equivalent is Galbord. But what is 'Gal' you ask? It may
be that this is an adulteration of Caul which is a term given to the
amnion sac. Sailors though this membrane could protect them from
drowning as it kept water out...

Intriguing, but could it be true?

On the other hand, it has been suggested that it might be related to
'gaderenbord' (Winschooten 1681) the Dutch for 'gather' plus board. But
what does it gather -aren't the other boards are laid next to it?

Finally, 'gar' might be derived from 'gal' which is a spike -and this
idea is prompted by the appearance of garfish (as spotted by DSK). Is
the garboard not spiked into the keel?

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Scout

"Gilligan" wrote
Also gaar means cooked - perhaps steamed into place?

Gilligan agreeing with Scout? Saints be praised!
Scout

Gilligan

"Nav" wrote in message

"1776 PENNANT Zool. III. 283 Garpike..this fish, which is found in many
places, is known by the name of the Sea-Needle. 1849 Zoologist VII. 2395
The gar-pike of the western rivers. 1866 OWEN Anat. Vertebrates I. iv.
275 The Tench, the Garpike, and the common Eel. 1883 Harper's Mag. Mar.
515/2 The gar-pike of Western lakes."

You forgot the part where the fish is describe is terms of blood, phlegm,
bile, and faeces.

Gilligan

Nav

Gilligan wrote:

"Nav" wrote in message

"1776 PENNANT Zool. III. 283 Garpike..this fish, which is found in many
places, is known by the name of the Sea-Needle. 1849 Zoologist VII. 2395
The gar-pike of the western rivers. 1866 OWEN Anat. Vertebrates I. iv.
275 The Tench, the Garpike, and the common Eel. 1883 Harper's Mag. Mar.
515/2 The gar-pike of Western lakes."

You forgot the part where the fish is describe is terms of blood, phlegm,
bile, and faeces.

Just pointing outthat garfish is an old term still used today. e.g.

http://www.webdelsol.com/CLR/works/spitzer_garfish.htm

Cheers

DSK

Scout wrote:
I teach all and learn from all.

Now there is a noble attitude.

DSK

Scout

Thank you kind stranger!
Scout

"DSK" wrote in message
Scout wrote:
I teach all and learn from all.

Now there is a noble attitude.

DSK

Frank

Nav wrote:
Gilligan wrote:
No such thing as a garfish. They are called gars, eastern and

western.

"A fish of the Pike or Esox family of the genus Belone, having long
bill-like jaws; the gar-fish or gar-pike."

Garboard definitely has the same origin roots as brabboard and
chaffle-stays. It has nothing in common with the clowgasp or

claut-snells.

But what of 'gal'?

It's from the Dutch "gaarbord", a contrACTION OF GADEREN, TO GATHER

PLUS
BOORD, A BOARD. tHE PLANKS OR PLATES ADJOINING THE KEEL. wHAT KIND

OF FEEBLE
DICTIONARY ARE YOU USING?

Your caps lock is on. A convenient (if unedifying) explanation

perhaps,
but is it right? Was Winshooten a sailor or might he have been trying

make sense of words also? Is it possible that the Dutch term was

derived
from some other similar sounding word? Who used this construction

BEFORE
the Dutch?

Cheers

....snip...
Any other ideas?

Cheers

No need to go to other languages. In Old English "gar" means spear.
Remember your Beowulf; the "gardana" are the "spear-Danes."

And, as we say in South Louisiana, I guaron-damn-tee, cher, dat there's
a fish called a garfish. And he got a big cousin, him. We call dat one
the "alligator gar". Me, I dunno what dem scientific names might be,
no; but dat's what everybody down de bayou call 'em.
Frank (aka loup garou)