posted to rec.boats.building

Default Portlights from G10?

A previous thread mentioned Bronze portlights (absurdly heavy) and
also plastic ones (maybe not strong enough) but the glass/plastic
composite G10 is certainly strong enough. Might be interesting to try.
posted to rec.boats.building

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:29:07 -0800 (PST), Frogwatch
wrote:

A previous thread mentioned Bronze portlights (absurdly heavy) and
also plastic ones (maybe not strong enough) but the glass/plastic
composite G10 is certainly strong enough. Might be interesting to try.

A very quick look shows G10 with a tensile strength of 40,000 PSI
taken "lengthwise" and 35,000 PSI "crosswise". I assume that these are
taken in line with and across manufactured slabs.

Cast bronze, on the other hand, varies depending on the specific
alloy. An alloy, referred to as a "general purpose bearing bronze
alloy" is listed as having a tensile strength of 35,000 PSI.

Compression strength is radically different though with bronze listed
as having a compressive strength of 20,000 PSI while G10 lists a
"flatwise" compression strength of 60,000 PSI and a edgewise strength
of 35,000 PSI.

Hardness is listed as Rockwell M 110 for the plastic and Brinell
Hardness of 55 - 65 for the bronze. Rockwell and Brinell tests are not
directly convertible and so far I can't find any cross reference data
for these two ranges.

From a materials point of view there seems no reason not to use G10.
Whether it will stand up well to UV is another question. some plastics
do not.
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

On Dec 30, 12:29*am, Frogwatch wrote:
A previous thread mentioned Bronze portlights (absurdly heavy) and
also plastic ones (maybe not strong enough) but the glass/plastic
composite G10 is certainly strong enough. *Might be interesting to try.

Is anyone currently manufacturing them?

-m

On Dec 30, 10:10*am, max camirand wrote:
On Dec 30, 12:29*am, Frogwatch wrote:

A previous thread mentioned Bronze portlights (absurdly heavy) and
also plastic ones (maybe not strong enough) but the glass/plastic
composite G10 is certainly strong enough. *Might be interesting to try.

Is anyone currently manufacturing them?

-m

G10 is not as hard as Bronze but neither is the plastic normally used
for portlight frames. UV could be a problem but there must be UV
inhibitors in the other plastics too.
G10 is hard on tools but easy to work with. I have used it as backing
plates on several of my homemade boats.

On Dec 30, 10:59*am, Frogwatch wrote:
On Dec 30, 10:10*am, max camirand wrote:

On Dec 30, 12:29*am, Frogwatch wrote:

A previous thread mentioned Bronze portlights (absurdly heavy) and
also plastic ones (maybe not strong enough) but the glass/plastic
composite G10 is certainly strong enough. *Might be interesting to try.

Is anyone currently manufacturing them?

-m

G10 is not as hard as Bronze but neither is the plastic normally used
for portlight frames. *UV could be a problem but there must be UV
inhibitors in the other plastics too.
G10 is hard on tools but easy to work with. *I have used it as backing
plates on several of my homemade boats.

Max: Send a drawing and I'll look into what it would cost for
materials. I'd do it just as an experiment for free other than cost
of materials.
e-mail: replace "point" with . ie
decimal point.