posted to rec.boats.building

Default where to buy portlights?

Hi group,

My Gazelle is lacking portlights. The portholes are 8". I'm looking
for a source for affordable opening portlights of that dimension. Ebay
and google don't yield much. I can't afford bronze, so I'm open to all
materials (including plastic) if they're strong enough for offshore
duty.

Regards,
-Maxime
posted to rec.boats.building

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:05:22 -0800 (PST), max camirand
wrote:

Hi group,

My Gazelle is lacking portlights. The portholes are 8". I'm looking
for a source for affordable opening portlights of that dimension. Ebay
and google don't yield much. I can't afford bronze, so I'm open to all
materials (including plastic) if they're strong enough for offshore
duty.

Regards,
-Maxime

Is this a Colvin Gazelle ?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

Max,
No portlight is inexpensive, of any variety. You must be very careful when you buy these, because you have to plan the
installation and it is not straightforward. All portlight faces are flat, but your hull is not. You will also have an inner hull
liner of some description and depth. So you will have very specific dimensions and you will also need to fabricate a flat mounting
surface to match the portlight design. On top of that, the only safe portlight will also incorporate a compound hinge and
companion deadlight plate. Please remember that in very heavy weather and breaking seas, the portlight can experience several tons
of explosive force. Your life can depend on your choice. Be prepared to spend serious money on these. I have 13, 8 x 16" bronze
portlights that cost me $14,000 without costing the installation.
Steve

"max camirand" wrote in message ...
Hi group,

My Gazelle is lacking portlights. The portholes are 8". I'm looking
for a source for affordable opening portlights of that dimension. Ebay
and google don't yield much. I can't afford bronze, so I'm open to all
materials (including plastic) if they're strong enough for offshore
duty.

Regards,
-Maxime

posted to rec.boats.building

On Dec 28, 6:42*am, Bruce In Bangkok
wrote:

Is this a Colvin Gazelle ?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Yep! Pacific Orca of Juneau, currently hauled out in Seattle.

Regards,
-Maxime

On Dec 28, 6:43*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
[...]

Steve,

I presume some materials are more affordable than others. I am able to
deal with the challenges of installation. Some of the portholes will
get thick plexiglass deadlights. However, a few of the portholes will
need to be of the opening type in order to get adequate ventilation
below.

Can you suggest a type and a place to buy them? I've heard of discount
online marine chandleries, but I only know West Marine, who are
definitely not 'discount'.

Regards,
-Maxime

posted to rec.boats.building

Max,
You may wish to check out Davey & Co in London. They make quality portlights. These are not inexpensive, but definitely worth the
money. They have portlight patterns on the shelf that go back to the late 1800s and these are not on their website, but they are
available, just ask. http://www.davey.co.uk/pdf/portlights.pdf These folks made my portlights. You can also check out Vetus in
Holland, but they are meant for inshore use and do not have deadlight plates. http://www.vetus.nl/ l I have also bought samples
in stainless and brass made in the far east. My samples were not certified, very poorly made and not significantly less money. I
highly advise you to avoid the far east. You can also contact the ship scrap yards in India, but I can tell you that they are very
difficult to deal with and you have a very good chance of not receiving what you think you bought. If you need leads there, I can
give you a couple.
Good luck,
[...]

den den is offline

On Dec 28, 9:32*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
[...]

Send seachestmarine an email, telling them what you are looking for.
Steve is pretty good at locating stuff. http://www.seachestmarine.com/
Good luck.
Den
48YF EAGLE

posted to rec.boats.building

Come to think of it, since the only major force operating on these
portlights is a hypothetical boarding wave, I could have outside-
opening portlights of thick plexiglass. If the portlight window were
of a larger diameter than the porthole, it would merely be forced
against the hull by a boarding wave. The plastic window itself is more
than strong enough.

Regards,
-Maxime
posted to rec.boats.building

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 08:46:19 -0800 (PST), max camirand
wrote:

Come to think of it, since the only major force operating on these
portlights is a hypothetical boarding wave, I could have outside-
opening portlights of thick plexiglass. If the portlight window were
of a larger diameter than the porthole, it would merely be forced
against the hull by a boarding wave. The plastic window itself is more
than strong enough.

Regards,
-Maxime

Or you can fit "storm boards" over the ports in bad weather.

The "problem" that most people have with ports is that they leak. I've
seen a lot of people cursing and re-bedding their ports. Never saw a
guy replacing one that a wave broke :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building
mmc mmc is offline

"max camirand" wrote in message
Hi group,

My Gazelle is lacking portlights. The portholes are 8". I'm looking
for a source for affordable opening portlights of that dimension. Ebay
and google don't yield much. I can't afford bronze, so I'm open to all
materials (including plastic) if they're strong enough for offshore
duty.

Regards,
-Maxime

Fuller Brush company makes some very tough plastic portlights. They last
over 20 years and maybe a lot longer if protected from natural and manmade
attacks.
Last I checked a large (+/- 14") went for about $170.