posted to rec.boats.building

Default Bilge drains Bonding, Corrosion and Mounting For a Westerly 22 fiberglass twin keel sailboat

First I bought a brass drain, then 'Oh No, brass in salt water...'
Then, Bronze.......Then, Oh, look at the one claiming to be stainless
steel.

Now, Bronze drain, Bronze hardware, WEST epoxy to seal fiberglass
penetrations and 3M 5200 as adhesive, sealant and whatever.

Bonding and corrosion are my concerns.
Perhaps, best would be to install using the Bronze and beach her
every few weeks to look for corrosion?

Does anyone have strong favorites and faith in choices for this
project?

Thanks,

Bligh (Bill) (Cptn)

"Bill Bligh" wrote:

Now, Bronze drain, Bronze hardware, WEST epoxy to seal fiberglass
penetrations and 3M 5200 as adhesive, sealant and whatever.

Be careful with 5200.

You will need a heat gun to break it loose.

Bonding and corrosion are my concerns.

What are your concerns?

Lew

posted to rec.boats.building

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:40:18 GMT, Bill Bligh
wrote:

First I bought a brass drain, then 'Oh No, brass in salt water...'
Then, Bronze.......Then, Oh, look at the one claiming to be stainless
steel.

Now, Bronze drain, Bronze hardware, WEST epoxy to seal fiberglass
penetrations and 3M 5200 as adhesive, sealant and whatever.

Bonding and corrosion are my concerns.
Perhaps, best would be to install using the Bronze and beach her
every few weeks to look for corrosion?

Does anyone have strong favorites and faith in choices for this
project?

Thanks,

Bligh (Bill) (Cptn)

5200 is the wrong thing to use for this application. You'll be sorry!

wrote:

First I bought a brass drain, then 'Oh No, brass in salt water...'
Then, Bronze.......Then, Oh, look at the one claiming to be stainless
steel.

Now, Bronze drain, Bronze hardware, WEST epoxy to seal fiberglass
penetrations and 3M 5200 as adhesive, sealant and whatever.

Bonding and corrosion are my concerns.
Perhaps, best would be to install using the Bronze and beach her
every few weeks to look for corrosion?

Does anyone have strong favorites and faith in choices for this
project?

Thanks,

Bligh (Bill) (Cptn)

5200 is the wrong thing to use for this application. You'll be sorry!

5200 is the wrong thing for a lot of applications.

Last time I hauled out the guy next to me was trying to remove a
transducer he installed with 5200. He thought it would last forever.
He didn't test it, it didn't work.

West Marine told him to bring it back and they would replace it.

Well, 3M does advertise it as a "High-performance polyurethane
adhesive sealant that stays flexible and waterproof, yet resists
weathering and salt water. Bonds and seals woods and fiberglass of
boat hulls."

I wonder what people expect?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

wrote:

[...]

And it does all those things. The problem is that if you are using it as a
bedding compound it will work fine until it comes time to replace what ever
you are bedding. Have fun.

Brian

posted to rec.boats.building

Bill,
I love 5200. It's fabulous stuff, but as a flexible, permanent adhesive, not
a sealant. Bronze will work underwater IF it is not electrically connected
to any other metallic object that is not also bronze. As your hull is
plastic, you should not have an issue.
Steve

"Bill Bligh" wrote in message
First I bought a brass drain, then 'Oh No, brass in salt water...'
Then, Bronze.......Then, Oh, look at the one claiming to be stainless
steel.

Now, Bronze drain, Bronze hardware, WEST epoxy to seal fiberglass
penetrations and 3M 5200 as adhesive, sealant and whatever.

Bonding and corrosion are my concerns.
Perhaps, best would be to install using the Bronze and beach her
every few weeks to look for corrosion?

Does anyone have strong favorites and faith in choices for this
project?

Thanks,

Bligh (Bill) (Cptn)

posted to rec.boats.building

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 20:01:44 -0700, "Brian"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I guess the point is that the things I bed, I don't expect to be
changing frequently, like thru-hull fittings. I'd much rather spend a
little more time to remove them, if I ever have to, then have them
leak.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

[...]

That was the thinking the guy with the transducer used. When was the
last time a properly installed thru-hull leaked?

wrote:

[...]

Tell the truth, I've never had a thru hull fitting leak. Of course I
put 'um in with 5200 :-)

Frankly I'm a bit confused with all this talk about people who install
something using 5200 and then have problems taking it out. I wonder
why they use something called an adhesive to install something they
plan to remove. After all, epoxy glue is a pretty fair adhesive but I
don't hear people warning "don't use epoxy, you'll never be able to
take it apart..."

\