posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Brian is offline

Default Bilge drains Bonding, Corrosion and Mounting For a Westerly 22 fiberglass twin keel sailboat

"Bruce In Bangkok" wrote in message
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:16:00 -0700, Jim wrote:

wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:40:18 GMT, Bill Bligh
wrote:

First I bought a brass drain, then 'Oh No, brass in salt water...'
Then, Bronze.......Then, Oh, look at the one claiming to be stainless
steel.

Now, Bronze drain, Bronze hardware, WEST epoxy to seal fiberglass
penetrations and 3M 5200 as adhesive, sealant and whatever.

Bonding and corrosion are my concerns.
Perhaps, best would be to install using the Bronze and beach her
every few weeks to look for corrosion?

Does anyone have strong favorites and faith in choices for this
project?

Thanks,

Bligh (Bill) (Cptn)

5200 is the wrong thing to use for this application. You'll be sorry!

5200 is the wrong thing for a lot of applications.

Last time I hauled out the guy next to me was trying to remove a
transducer he installed with 5200. He thought it would last forever.
He didn't test it, it didn't work.

West Marine told him to bring it back and they would replace it.

Well, 3M does advertise it as a "High-performance polyurethane
adhesive sealant that stays flexible and waterproof, yet resists
weathering and salt water. Bonds and seals woods and fiberglass of
boat hulls."

I wonder what people expect?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

And it does all those things. The problem is that if you are using it as a
bedding compound it will work fine until it comes time to replace what ever
you are bedding. Have fun.

Brian