posted to rec.boats.building

Default Tern Schooner Trivia

I'm starting my research to restore the rigging on a model of a tern
schooner which was built many moons ago by a Gloucester fisherman.
Sources I see today, fumbling through my searches, may be
overgeneralizing when they say a tern is any three masted schooner.
Other sources have led me to believe that many or most schooners have
the main mast in the middle, and only schooners with an aft main mast
are terns. My model schooner has the main mast in the rear, er aft,
and I believe it is that aft main mast that makes it a tern. The
middle mast is of medium height.

But that's only incidental to my question. The fact remains that the
tallest mast is the main mast. What is the proper name for the middle
mast?

1. Fore-mast
2. ??? - mast
3.Main-mast

Thanks in advance for any help. Have fun with any controversy.
Sorry if a model is OT.
Maybe I should build a real boat.
I don't have a boat. But I have rights for a mooring here at my humble
beach shack.
I should build a bigger house with a workshop.
Then I can build the boat. Just something to explore the shoreline of
Long Island Sound and catch a few stripers.
Then I can fix the model.
But I'll be fishing.

mid-mizzen?

-dean
motogroove hat yaaaaahoo spot calm
posted to rec.boats.building

On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 13:29:21 -0700 (PDT), Dean H
wrote:

[...]

According to "Chapman great sailing ships of the world" By Otmar
Schäuffelen, see:
http://books.google.com/books?id=QgM...esult&resnum=1

the sails and by extension the masts on a three masted schooner are
Fore Sail, Main Sail and Mizzen Sail.

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
posted to rec.boats.building

In article 926583d3-9f29-4065-b1aa-
,
says...

[...]

Hey Dean, Scotty here... This is another group I hang in sometimes. I
used to be a boat builder when I lived down the shoreline. First and
foremost, if you want to build a boat, let me know. You don't need a
shop. We could have you up a nice 16 footer for the sound in about 60
man hours and a few hundred dollars...

Either way, I may go ahead and start up my Brockway now that the race
season is almost over, I will give you a buzz and we can chase some
blues this fall if you want.

Scotty from SmallBoats.com AKA Rowdy Mouse Racing...

Ocean trivia time JoeSpareBedroom General 11 December 30th 08 12:45 PM
Next Batch using an ancient poster for the Technically challenged - aquebar 26-1-08 end of docks and lamnalco tern pan_cml size.jpg (1/1) [email protected] Tall Ship Photos 0 February 22nd 08 04:41 PM
Boating Movie Trivia Contest. Eisboch General 2 December 20th 05 08:34 PM
Trivia JIMinFL General 0 November 9th 05 07:07 PM
Columbus Trivia Gould 0738 General 13 October 15th 03 05:02 AM