posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

Default swing keel stuck

"derry" wrote in message
Hi all
I seen there a while back someone had the problem of a swing keel
stuck in the keel trunk.
I have the same problem. and am now at a crossroads with it.

I drilled a hole in the steel keel and used a 800kg ratchet winch onto
an large anchor weight
this pulled the keel down with some effort. I removed the keel winch
and the keel pin.

but still cant pull the keel out with the rust around where the pin
was.
I guess I need some thing to dissolve the rust that will not damage
the gel coat.

I have tightened up the ratchet pressure again and soaked the keel in
diesel. And left it over night to see what will happen .

Anybody got any better ideas on this.

Did you get it unstuck?
Anyone know of anything that dissolves barnacles?

wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 08:37:59 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

"derry" wrote in message
Hi all
I seen there a while back someone had the problem of a swing keel
stuck in the keel trunk.
I have the same problem. and am now at a crossroads with it.

I drilled a hole in the steel keel and used a 800kg ratchet winch onto
an large anchor weight
this pulled the keel down with some effort. I removed the keel winch
and the keel pin.

but still cant pull the keel out with the rust around where the pin
was.
I guess I need some thing to dissolve the rust that will not damage
the gel coat.

I have tightened up the ratchet pressure again and soaked the keel in
diesel. And left it over night to see what will happen .

Anybody got any better ideas on this.

Did you get it unstuck?
Anyone know of anything that dissolves barnacles?

There are commercially available chemicals that disolve barnacles.
Available at any chandelery. Same stuff also works well to clean fancy
automobile wheels. Rinse well, and avoid breathing the fumes though,
it's acid.

Thanks, any idea if it harms gelcoat?

posted to rec.boats.building

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:50:01 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

.. .

"derry" wrote in message
[...]

I've used it for years with no apparent problems. I've always been
careful to make sure I do a good job of rinsing, just to be safe.

wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:50:01 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

. ..

"derry" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, thanks. Found some by Star Brite at Defender:
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|309314|311454&id=207371

wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 18:50:01 -0400, "mmc" wrote:

. ..

"derry" wrote in message
[...]

Just went to the Star Brite site and checked out the MSDS, their barnacle
and zebra mussel remover's active ingredient is hydrocloric acid. Not being
someone that wants to play with hydrocloric acid, I think I'll buy their
mix.
Also checked out the sheet on thier rust stain remover, active ingredient
oxalic. Being not afraid of oxalic acid, I buy wood bleach in the hardware
and follow the instructions for disolving the crystals in warm water. Works
great for grundgy harbor stains and the little jar of crystal makes gallons
of cleaner for something like $7.
Yeah, I'm cheap. or frugal rather.

On May 25, 12:20*pm, derry wrote:
Hi all
I seen there a while back someone had the problem of a swing keel
stuck in the keel trunk.
I have the same problem. and am now at a crossroads with it.

I drilled a hole in the steel keel and used a 800kg ratchet winch onto
an large anchor weight
this pulled the keel down with some effort. I removed the keel winch
and the keel pin.

but still cant pull the keel out with the rust around where the pin
was.
I guess I need some thing to dissolve the rust that will not damage
the gel coat.

I have tightened *up the ratchet pressure again and soaked the keel in
diesel. And left it over night to see what will happen .

Anybody got any better ideas on this.

Ok guys
The keel is down, sand blasted zinced and painted.
I found it very hard to get Muratic acid here in Ireland stiff laws.
So I used a sledge hammer with gentle taps and my 800kg ratchet winch
and she came down with no damage to the boat thank god.
thanks for all your help
posted to rec.boats.building

Wasn't me with the keel, Steve. It was Derry - he got the keel loose a
couple months ago.

I've used Muratic acid safely for a bit over 40 years, for pretty much
all of its uses.

Rick

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 09:19:24 -0700, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Rick.
DO NOT USE this acid on the keel when it is installed on the boat. It is far too dangerous with your aluminum hull. This acid will
dissolve aluminum while you watch and create terrific heat doing it. You have talked about this keel for a while now. My
suggestion is to stop playing with it, blow it out of the hull and service/repair it as necessary. You get this wrong and you lose
the boat. Lives and a large financial investment are at stake here, be professional and get it right.
Steve

"Rick Morel" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 29 May 2009 06:44:36 -0700 (PDT), derry
wrote:

rick this sounds good any idea of what strengt ot hydrochloric acid to
use

I've always used straight Muratic acid. I'm not sure offhand what
concentration it is. Same for the boatyards. As I had mentioned, paint
stores and auto supplies carry it.

I did try using some to remove rust from a tractor engine radiator and
water jacket. It got diluted by the water left in the block and didn't
seem to do nearly as well.

As an aside, it's used, diluted a pint to 3 gallons of water (I think)
to clean the calcium deposits and stuff in a Lectra/San Type I MSD.

I usually put it in a sprayer. One of those quart type garden spayers,
not the kind with a hose.

Everyone that wrote about the fumes is correct. Make sure you've got
very good ventilation.

Let us know how you make out!

Rick

posted to rec.boats.building

Rick,
Sorry, you are correct. You have my apologies. I have used Muriatic acid successfully for many years, but that stuff is very
dangerous if misused and it should never be used around aluminum.
Steve

wrote:

[...]

pressure wash it/steam clean it,
Soak with PB-blaster, also soak with OLD,USED MOTOR OIL heat with heat
gun... if this does not work repeat process...
good luck

santana 21 swing keel stuck up any ideas Barton Garber General 1 August 4th 04 10:38 PM
From swing keel to fixed keel Haakon Dybdahl Boat Building 4 June 8th 04 03:52 PM
Swing keel / Lift keel Hoges in WA Cruising 6 May 29th 04 10:11 AM
Swing keel 25 MMC Cruising 24 February 22nd 04 07:12 PM
Swing Keel '25 Gary Webster Cruising 2 February 20th 04 04:59 AM