Junior Member

Default Pock-marked aluminum

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the responses for my Bondo faring question.

After sand blasting my aluminum hull, the shallow areas of faring that remained exposed the bare aluminum of the hull and in some spots there was this indication of electroloysis or decavitation of the metal that can be described as "pock marked".

Other than cutting out the damaged area and rewelding, is there any other approach to repairing the aluminum?

John
posted to rec.boats.building
MMC MMC is offline

--
EASI54

John,
Is it a thin hull? That would make a difference between filling or
replacing.
When I worked with sub-launched weapons trainer shapes, we repaired deep
pits (heavy cases on the shapes) with a product 3M made that is an epoxy
with aluminum mixed in. Worked really well and never had any fall out.
This may be the stuff we used but I don't remember the name- been a while.

"EASI54" wrote in message

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the responses for my Bondo faring
question.

After sand blasting my aluminum hull, the shallow areas of faring that
remained exposed the bare aluminum of the hull and in some spots there
was this indication of electroloysis or decavitation of the metal that
can be described as "pock marked".

Other than cutting out the damaged area and rewelding, is there any
other approach to repairing the aluminum?

John

--
EASI54

Don't know if I pasted the link and can't see my reply yet.
http://www.tapecase.com/p.29.9/3m-17...-adhesive.aspx

posted to rec.boats.building

Hear is a tip. Whenever you experience pitted aluminum, the cause could be
is embedded salt, which is quite a corrosive. If so, the corrosion will
continue even after recoating correctly with paint or powdercoating. The tip
is to thoroughly wash the aluminum with vinegar, then water, let dry and
then apply your paint or powder scheme. It works.
Steve

"EASI54" wrote in message

Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the responses for my Bondo faring
question.

After sand blasting my aluminum hull, the shallow areas of faring that
remained exposed the bare aluminum of the hull and in some spots there
was this indication of electroloysis or decavitation of the metal that
can be described as "pock marked".

Other than cutting out the damaged area and rewelding, is there any
other approach to repairing the aluminum?

John

--
EASI54

Aluminum revitalizing SteveB[_2_] General 4 March 16th 09 04:54 PM
Aluminum [email protected] Boat Building 0 March 6th 08 01:04 PM
WTB: Aluminum Boats by Kaiser Aluminum Brian D Boat Building 5 March 27th 06 01:53 AM
Aluminum and...what? engsol Cruising 5 June 30th 05 08:13 PM
Aluminum toerail [email protected] Cruising 1 March 19th 05 11:24 PM