posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default In the Navy!

FF-1063:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu...eature=channel

posted to alt.sailing.asa
MMC MMC is offline

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
FF-1063:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu...eature=channel

Haha!
I spent 4 years on FF 1074 (a sister ship) and some of the liberty attire I
saw came pretty close to those guys! But it was 79-82...... disco was big
back then.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
MMC MMC is offline

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
FF-1063:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu...eature=channel

Haha!
I spent 4 years on FF 1074 (a sister ship) and some of the liberty attire
I saw came pretty close to those guys! But it was 79-82...... disco was
big back then.

I was on FF 1097.

Also Knox Class?

posted to alt.sailing.asa
MMC MMC is offline

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
FF-1063:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu...eature=channel

Haha!
I spent 4 years on FF 1074 (a sister ship) and some of the liberty attire
I saw came pretty close to those guys! But it was 79-82...... disco was
big back then.

I was on FF 1097.

USS Moinester?
They were good ships. We enjoyed the WESTPAC liberty ports!

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
FF-1063:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu...eature=channel

Haha!
I spent 4 years on FF 1074 (a sister ship) and some of the liberty
attire I saw came pretty close to those guys! But it was 79-82......
disco was big back then.

I was on FF 1097.

USS Moinester?
They were good ships. We enjoyed the WESTPAC liberty ports!

That's the one. I was also on the USS America. The Knox class was the first
class designed to withstand the blast of nuclear depth charges. Here's an
interesting incident:

http://216.230.103.132/oralhistory/T/train.htm

Pictures too! The VDS brought the commies to their knees.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Charles Momsen wrote:
"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...
"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...
"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
FF-1063:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu...eature=channel

Haha!
I spent 4 years on FF 1074 (a sister ship) and some of the liberty
attire I saw came pretty close to those guys! But it was 79-82......
disco was big back then.

I was on FF 1097.

USS Moinester?
They were good ships. We enjoyed the WESTPAC liberty ports!

That's the one. I was also on the USS America. The Knox class was the first
class designed to withstand the blast of nuclear depth charges. Here's an
interesting incident:

http://216.230.103.132/oralhistory/T/train.htm

Pictures too! The VDS brought the commies to their knees.

Hmmm, does Putin now own knee pads?

Cheers
Martin
posted to alt.sailing.asa
MMC MMC is offline

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
ng.com...

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message

"mmc" wrote in message
g.com...

"Charles Momsen" wrote in message
FF-1063:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu...eature=channel

Haha!
I spent 4 years on FF 1074 (a sister ship) and some of the liberty
attire I saw came pretty close to those guys! But it was 79-82......
disco was big back then.

I was on FF 1097.

USS Moinester?
They were good ships. We enjoyed the WESTPAC liberty ports!

That's the one. I was also on the USS America. The Knox class was the
first class designed to withstand the blast of nuclear depth charges.
Here's an interesting incident:

http://216.230.103.132/oralhistory/T/train.htm

Pictures too! The VDS brought the commies to their knees.

Thanks, I'll check it out today.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Charles Momsen" wrote:
....... The Knox class was the first
class designed to withstand the blast of nuclear depth charges.

I dunno if I'd take that statement too seriously. As a strategic
countermeasure to the Soviet Navy's overwhelming number of subs at the
time, they were designed to deliver nuclear depth charges with a
possibility of surviving. The InSurv board had quite a lot to say on
the matter.

..... Here's an
interesting incident:

http://216.230.103.132/oralhistory/T/train.htm

Pictures too! The VDS brought the commies to their knees.

A comment to definitely not take seriously.
Great story though... still being talked about when I was in... thanks
for the link!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King (ex-BT1 (SW))
posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
"Charles Momsen" wrote:
....... The Knox class was the first
class designed to withstand the blast of nuclear depth charges.

I dunno if I'd take that statement too seriously. As a strategic
countermeasure to the Soviet Navy's overwhelming number of subs at the
time, they were designed to deliver nuclear depth charges with a
possibility of surviving. The InSurv board had quite a lot to say on
the matter.

During sea trials they were shock tested with 4,000 lbs (4 kT) of explosive:

http://www.ussknox.org/knox_statistics.htm

The ASROC had a 10,000 lb (10 kT) yield:

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/asroc.htm

..... Here's an
interesting incident:

http://216.230.103.132/oralhistory/T/train.htm

Pictures too! The VDS brought the commies to their knees.

A comment to definitely not take seriously.

The VDS was very effective. It could be dropped beneath the thermocline and
operated in a much quieter environment than any hull mounted unit.

Great story though... still being talked about when I was in... thanks
for the link!

I left the ship 2 weeks before it happened. There was another incident about
a month before that involving 2 Osa missile boats but no one got hurt.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King (ex-BT1 (SW))

Go Navy! Capt. JG Cruising 20 February 24th 08 08:07 PM
Go Navy! Capt. JG ASA 16 February 23rd 08 07:29 AM
In the Navy... Short Wave Sportfishing General 9 July 12th 07 12:42 AM
Go Navy SUZY ASA 0 May 5th 06 01:39 AM
The New Navy = $$$ WalterScottGray General 15 November 17th 03 02:19 PM