posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Seamanship Question #42

What is the proper way to rig a mainsail jibe preventer? 1 pt

Assume you do not have a boom brake.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 18, 4:08*pm, Bart wrote:
What is the proper way to rig a mainsail jibe preventer? *1 pt

Assume you do not have a boom brake.

Never rigged a preventer on a boat I was sailing, but I have seen
other people do it and of course diagrams in sailing manuals etc etc.
You're supposed to lead the line far forward on the boat, such as to a
bow cleat, and then to the end of the boom. That way it will not cause
the boom to crumple if it takes a strain from a gybe or if the boom
dips into a wave when the boat heels. The line should also be led aft
so it can be released from a convenient point like the cabin top or
cockpit, so that if you need to gybe quickly, it can be cast off.

I don't particularly like preventers, of the times I have seen other
use them about half came to grief one way or another. I did
accidentally gybe a boat myself in hard going, when dodging a bit of
debris in the water that loomed up in the glow of the running
lights... managed to dodge the obstacle (it looked like a large metal
fishing mast, suggestive of a sunken boat right there) and when
gawking aft at it after we passed it, gybed the boat. No damage, just
slightly embarassing... if we'd hit that mast (or whatever it was)
we'd have gone down like a rock... certainly one of the closest calls
I've ever had while sailing, so I don't feel too bad about the gybe
afterward

Fresh Breezes- Doug King
posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Bart" wrote in message
What is the proper way to rig a mainsail jibe preventer? 1 pt

Assume you do not have a boom brake.

I've always either run it forward to a block or cleat, then aft to the
cockpit or I've detached the vang at the mast step and put it on the
toerail. Clearly, you'd want to do this when the boom is inboard.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On 20 Oct, 01:16, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Bart" wrote in message

What is the proper way to rig a mainsail jibe preventer? *1 pt

Assume you do not have a boom brake.

I've always either run it forward to a block or cleat, then aft to the
cockpit or I've detached the vang at the mast step and put it on the
toerail. Clearly, you'd want to do this when the boom is inboard.

--
"j" ganz

I give you and doug each a point.

What I've seen that makes the most sense is to run heavy line
the length of the boom tied at the end of the boom with a bowline,
and made off at the gooseneck with an eye-splice and a but of
small lilne to make it off when not in use. Then another line is
run forward on the side of the boat with the boom through the
bow cleat on that side and led back outside of everything to
the now freed eye splice.

What this does is make the work running a very long line much
easier. The other end goes to a halyard winch aft. So mainsheet
purchase system is used to tighten the whole thing up. It also is
much easier to remove. If you have a spike attached to the mast,
and you should, you can pop the shackle in a moment, or easy
it from farther aft.

I still prefer a boom brake, but if you don't have one this is the
next
best rig. It is easier to stow when not used, and easier to rig when
needed, than the typical "long line" preventer.