posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Here, Sir!

On Aug 25, 3:20*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
Hey Frank... sounds like a nice delivery. How's Thom doin?
I'm going to be doing something similar (also aboard a cat). It's Seattle to
SF in late Sept. (not confirmed just yet). I've never done that leg of the
coast, so all tips are appreciated.
Jonathan

You aren't, by any chance, crewing for the Congers on Don Quixote, are
you? I
was gonna crew for them from SEA to SF in Sept. but I have other
committments. That's the theoretical best time to do that trip,
nonetheless, it can
be a real PITA. Hope you have a good trip.

Frank (my Florida-Louisiana delivery narrative is he http://
pvmaro.blogspot.com/2008/08/trip-report.html.)

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Ah no... it's someone else. I don't actually know the name of the boat just
yet... it's new (to the owner) and just got through the survey.

From what I've researched that's the best time, but I'm curious about your
PITA comment. What's possible?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Frank wrote:
Even old time lurkers like me are still around - kinda. Just got back
to Seattle after a two-week delivery of a Fountaine-Pajot Athena from
St. Augustine to New Orleans, behind Eduardo and before Fay.

Frank - down the road a bit from Ol' Thom

What did you think of the Athena?

I have not sailed that many big cats this looks like one of the nicer
ones.

Glad to hear from you Frank, and the other folks just checking!

FB- Doug

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 25, 5:27*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
Ah no... it's someone else. I don't actually know the name of the boat just
yet... it's new (to the owner) and just got through the survey.

From what I've researched that's the best time, but I'm curious about your
PITA comment. What's possible?

You're used to S. F. Bay so you see a lot of differing and sometimes
unpleasant conditions, right? The Pacific is changeable. This is the
best timeframe, in general, but that doesn't preclude your basic
hurricane-speed windstorm or similar icky events. Could very well be a
fine trip but you can always have something crappy happen. And the
water's just so cold. I've been in the Northwest for 30 years and
still don't like the cold.

Hope you have a safe, fast, enjoyable passage!

Frank
posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Aug 26, 5:51*am, wrote:
Frank wrote:
Even old time lurkers like me are still around - kinda. Just got back
to Seattle after a two-week delivery of a Fountaine-Pajot Athena from
St. Augustine to New Orleans, behind Eduardo and before Fay.

What did you think of the Athena?
I have not sailed that many big cats this looks like one of the nicer
ones.
Glad to hear from you Frank, and the other folks just checking!
FB- Doug

Hi, Doug,

Good to hear from you.

I, too, have very little experience on big cats. My other significant
experience besides the Athena delivery is hanging out and doing after-
work-round-the-buoys racing on some friends' Lagoon 380. With that
caveat, I'm happy to give my opinion.

I loved that boat.

Starting with the negatives... If I were tall, I might have some
complaints. The headroom is not all that great. But I'm not tall so I
found the ergonomics of the boat to be fabulous. I'd like to have more
visibility of the mainsail from the helm. The rigging prevents the
boom from moving as far forward as I would have liked. Coupla quibbles
like that.

Generally, that boat was very comfortable, easy to handle, and fast.
We saw 12 kts. reaching. Woo-hoo! Granted, that was our top speed but
it's a pretty damned good top speed. In terms of practicality, we were
in delivery mode and couldn't just wait for wind to be purist sailors.
Those little 18-hp engines were marvelously efficient and power was
sufficient. Against a 30+ kt. squall we had to use both motors for me
to feel comfortable but for making time on a flat ocean we could use
them one at a time, alternating them.

Ceteris paribus, I'd buy a cat as my next boat rather than a monohull.
Of course, it's never ceteris paribus, is it? Money is always a huge
(if not THE critical) factor and cats ain't cheap.

But I had a helluva time!

See ya,

Frank

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:28:09 -0500, "jlrogers±³©"
wrote:

Nope, not yet, though I just retired for the second time. I'm now waiting
to see a 40 foot center cockpit Endeavour
http://uk.yachtworld.com/core/listin...&access=Public

Waiting for it to get to Kemah, TX.

Has it been in Kemah for a while or is it just arriving? I chartered
a 1985 Endeavour 38 CC in the Virgin Islands that ultimately went home
to Kemah, TX, and then fell into the state of neglect. If it is the
same boat it has had a very nice refit. At any rate my ten days spent
aboard were very nice and I was impressed with the boats combination
of space and performance.

Frank

So what's up

wrote in message