Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default An actual sailing topic

I have twin jib halyards and am planning to replace a headstay luff
foil. The twin foil has some advantages but is more bulky, I'm not
sure we will ever need to swap headsails on the fly.

Another issue is the spinnaker halyard.... singular. This is a frac-
rigged boat and the spinnaker halyard is run to a swivel block at the
hounds then up to a thru-block just below the mast head. I've been
thinking of taking the swivel block off and setting a masthead
spinnaker, then mounting another thru-block at the hounds and re-
routing the starboard jib halyard to become a second frac spinnaker
halyard.

Any opinions about the utility of these two configurations:
1- twin jib halyards, twin luff foil on headstay, single spinnaker
halyard
vs
2- single jib halyard, single luff foil on headstay, masthead
spinnaker + frac spinnaker halyards

Fresh Breezes- Doug King