posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default mortem analysis

I broke the golden rule of sailing, and let other things change my
weather window enough it got me.

I had legal delays, getting equipment delays, tropical storm delays,
cargo un-loading delays, cargo loading delays. over 3 weeks in delays,
just long enough to get one off thoses bad ass gulf northers that I
had carefully scheduled to avoid at all cost. And this one was badder
and bigger then anything I've ever see on the gulf...with over 400K
miles traveled.

Not the cargo, or the boat, or the crew. We sailed RedCloud full out
and she loved it, we had no aux since Isla Contoy,,,no big deal we
were still making an average of 4kts even with a few dead in the water
days..heck, the night before the storm in 35 kt winds and 15 ft
seas... RedCloud came alive like I've never seen.... she was flying
and in tune I was in awe, mother nature provided a show beyond
anything you could ever imagine in your wildest dreams, my best watch
and night ever at sea.., I'd trade that night for nothing.

What will I do different next time, if I get another shot?

Demand that my schedule is meet or re-schedule or cancel.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

No one executes a plan perfectly the first time. A good plan has flexibility
to allow for schedule slips due to unforseen circumstances.

Do you think sailing closer to the coast when the bad weather potential
exists would give you the option to sit out the bad weather in a sheltered
area?

My condolences for your loss. Are you absolutely certain Red Cloud is gone?
Did you put the word out for others down the coast to look for her? It might
be worth chartering a small plane and flying the coast to take a look
Someone might have towed her in and just never reported it for whatever
reason.

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 9, 8:59*pm, "Bob Crantz" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

Agreeded, I had scheduled in a couple weeks of flexibility.

Do you think sailing closer to the coast when the bad weather potential
exists would give you the option to sit out the bad weather in a sheltered
area?

You think sailing coastal from Houston to the Yuccatan would be an
option? Mexico does not afford many helpful options on that course
until you reach Isla Contoy heading south.

My condolences for your loss. Are you absolutely certain Red Cloud is gone?

No...I did not see her on the bottom. However the epirb was left in
the wheelhouse, and we found it free floating.

Maybe Vito of San Pedro now has her and has re-named her "Fist of
Fury" on one side, and "enter the Dragon" on the other. He wants to be
a pirate of the Carribean.

Did you put the word out for others down the coast to look for her?

Yes the whole MM fleet is aware and looking.

It might
be worth chartering a small plane and flying the coast to take a look
Someone might have towed her in and just never reported it for whatever
reason.

She's gone Bob.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
[...]

Joe, Sorry for you loss.. truly. As I've learned many times over, no one is
perfect... I hope you get a fair settlement from the insurance, and I'm sure
you'll get another shot at your dream.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 9, 11:56*pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

"j" ganz - Hide quoted text -

insurance? You ever try to insure a 30 YO steel boat?

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 11:56 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

No, but it was a nice thought. Mine isn't steel and over 20, but it's
insured.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Joe" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 11:56 pm, "Capt. JG" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

[...]

I guess that sort of begs the questions... did you attempt to get insurance
and/or why was it denied? Is it a factor of the boat material, the age, or a
combination?

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 11:35:57 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

that sort of begs the questions.

One of my hobby horses, Jon. Do a quick Google search for "begging the
question."

The error is so widespread that I'm probably defending the Alamo here.

Seems like I used it properly.... Joe didn't provide a complete explanation,
which is common usage for the last 20 years or so.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 12:14:39 -0800, "Capt. JG"
said:

The error is so widespread that I'm probably defending the Alamo here.

Seems like I used it properly....

Q.E.D.

What.. that you can't follow... QED

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

said:

that sort of begs the questions.

One of my hobby horses, Jon. Do a quick Google search for "begging the
question."

The error is so widespread that I'm probably defending the Alamo here.

And you know what happened to THOSE guys!

It was an immigration issue...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

GPS Performance Analysis Alberto \(Tilax\) General 1 January 25th 05 04:39 AM
GPS Performance analysis Alberto \(Tilax\) Electronics 14 January 23rd 05 10:22 PM
Oil analysis question Tamaroak General 3 October 26th 04 02:41 AM
Oil analysis question Tamaroak Cruising 2 October 26th 04 02:41 AM
NASA sea wind analysis Glenn Ashmore Cruising 6 November 7th 03 04:49 PM