posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Ping: J. Ganz in re S.F. Bay oil spill

Hey Jonathan... some of us in this group (what's left of it) might be
interested
on a first hand field report relative to Wednesday's oil spill
incident. And your
take as well... as to what may have gone wrong aboard the Cosco
container
ship.

Thanks and best regards

Bill

Anacapa Isle Marina
Channel Islands Harbor
Oxnard, California

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default J. Ganz in re S.F. Bay oil spill

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hey Jonathan... some of us in this group (what's left of it) might be
interested
on a first hand field report relative to Wednesday's oil spill
incident. And your
take as well... as to what may have gone wrong aboard the Cosco
container
ship.

Thanks and best regards

Bill

Anacapa Isle Marina
Channel Islands Harbor
Oxnard, California

I'm following along like everyone else
(http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...yid=30#Story2)...
several new places in the bay have been closed. Nasty... oil has been
reported 40 miles outside the Gate. All I know is that the cause is "under
investigation."

I also have the following update from a friend...

The allision (that's a collision in which one of the objects is fixed)
between the Cosco Busan and the pier of the Bay Bridge's delta tower has
resulted in a lot of oil floating on the Bay. he Coast Guard has placed a
100- foot safety zone around the Cosco Busan, which is currently moored at
Anchorage Nine, due west of our Alameda base. There is also a 100- foot
security zone being enforced around the delta tower of the Bay Bridge. This
is the tower that is nearest to Yerba Buena Island.

Due to potential health and wildlife concerns, many area beaches have been
closed. The oiled wildlife reporting hotline is 877.823.6926. Other oil
sightings and claims should be called in to 985.781.0804. Avoid sailing and
anchoring in oily areas if possible.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hey Jonathan... some of us in this group (what's left of it) might be
interested
on a first hand field report relative to Wednesday's oil spill
incident. And your
take as well... as to what may have gone wrong aboard the Cosco
container
ship.

Thanks and best regards

Bill

Anacapa Isle Marina
Channel Islands Harbor
Oxnard, California

FYI, I haven't seen it myself yet...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I bet the Capt was drunk... etc..

Hey Scotty... a few years ago I spent a few months
aboard a small foreign flagged container ship that in
their monthly run had to go in and out of the Bay area
before they headed off for their South Pacific ports of
call.

Accordingly... I can almost unequivocally assure you
that the ship's Master (Captain) and his duty helmsman
and the local pilot were on the bridge doing their "thing"
particularly in that port off call... which you and I use
to refer to as the "Gay Bay" as truckers.

And yeh... such as yourself... I am kind of wondering what
condition their condition might have been at that time of the
morning... that could have adversely effected their judgement.

To the best of my knowledge based on my limited exposure on
the bridge of commercial vessels... the pilot is the one
issuing orders on the "bearings" and the duty helmsman (crew
member) makes the adjustments at the wheel. Meanwhile the
Master stands by in the background.

Maybe there was a communication problem between the pilot and
helmsman and/or the electronics where malfunctioning.

But I understand your negative response to a certain extent.

Your talking about a major carrier/charter and ship owner and
sh*t happens.

Like the Valdez incident... it makes you wonder.

Bill

posted to alt.sailing.asa

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

According to the paper today, there was a communication problem between the
pilot and "crew." Not sure what it means yet.

Here's a decent vid of the damage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeYDXPeEhs

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

According to the paper today, there was a communication problem between
the pilot and "crew." Not sure what it means yet.

Here's a decent vid of the damage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeYDXPeEhs

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

One can see a heck of a strong current runnng through there. Also see how
she is straining at her anchor cable afterwards.A positioning error some
distance back along the approach route would leave a big ship rather short
of options for avoiding collision.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

"Edgar" wrote in message
news

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

According to the paper today, there was a communication problem between
the pilot and "crew." Not sure what it means yet.

Here's a decent vid of the damage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeYDXPeEhs

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

One can see a heck of a strong current runnng through there. Also see how
she is straining at her anchor cable afterwards.A positioning error some
distance back along the approach route would leave a big ship rather short
of options for avoiding collision.

This is pretty common current speed for the area... the pilot had a lot of
experience, so I doubt that's the case, but you never know.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com