posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

Default Harvest moon regetta

They had 270 boats at the start yesterday. I Bet Jim Cate was up on
the topsail of the Elissa. She had all her top sail out at the start..
15-20 gusting to 30, but about 17:00 the wind stopped and it's been
dead since. I bet it's a big bobbin party off Sargent about right now.
It is now the largest point to point Regetta in the USA.

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Joe wrote:
They had 270 boats at the start yesterday. I Bet Jim Cate was up on
the topsail of the Elissa. She had all her top sail out at the start..
15-20 gusting to 30, but about 17:00 the wind stopped and it's been
dead since. I bet it's a big bobbin party off Sargent about right now.
It is now the largest point to point Regetta in the USA.

Joe

Joe, I haven't been on the Elissa's crew for several years. - It
required months of training, study, maintenance work, etc., and I
couldn't spare the time while working at NASA. When I was on the crew,
I knew the history, specifications, sails, components, etc. of the ship,
and I could identify and explain the function of each of the 183 lines
in the running rigging. My job, as a docent, was to conduct tours of the
ship for visitors.

Our section of the crew was responsible for the foremast, and we climbed
the rigging up that mast many times. - Including walking out on the foot
rope beneath the upper yardarm to set the top gallant while the the ship
was rocking around offshore. It's exciting, the view is spectacular, and
you learn to walk very carefully.

As you probably know, the Elissa docked in Galveston several times
during the 19th century, and I understand that it logged more "mileage"
than any ship of its time because of the many years it was in service.
One benefit of serving on the crew, in addition to the chance to take
her out to sea, is the free training you get during the months of
lectures, hands-on drills, and exams, etc. - The cost of training on a
tall ship, if you can find it, can be pretty expensive.

Jim
posted to alt.sailing.asa

JimC wrote:

Joe wrote:

They had 270 boats at the start yesterday. I Bet Jim Cate was up on
the topsail of the Elissa. She had all her top sail out at the start..
15-20 gusting to 30, but about 17:00 the wind stopped and it's been
dead since. ....

Here's the procedure and series of commands entailed in tacking the Elissa:

1. Stand by to come about
2. Helm a'lee
3. Spanker amidships
4. Ease headsail sheets
5. Rise tacks and sheets on the Fore
6. Rise tacks and sheets on the Main
7. Back the headsails
8. Mainsail haul
9. Slack away the spanker sheet
10. Shift the headsail sheets
11. Shift the staysail sheets
12. Let go and haul
13. Rudder amidships
14. Set the Mainsail
15. Helm full and by
16. Set the foresail

Jim

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 26, 9:12 pm, JimC wrote:
JimC wrote:

Joe wrote:

[...]

Looks as if it was a one tack race...

Joe

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Oct 26, 10:12 pm, JimC wrote:
JimC wrote:

Joe wrote:

[...]

Ever read this?
http://www.amazon.com/Young-Sea-Offi...3517973&sr=8-1

Great book, and is a great reference not only for the procedures of
handling a full-rigged ship but also describes a number of basic
principles to enable the "young sea officer" to reason his way to
correct actions in unforeseen circumstances... a good skill for any
sailor young or old. The illustrations are great, too

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Harvest Moon regatta? [email protected] ASA 5 October 26th 07 05:59 PM
FEDGOV wants to reduce salmon harvest, close hatcheries, to protect fish stocks [email protected] General 2 January 27th 06 04:02 AM
I'd Like To Crew in the Harvest Moon Regatta Dan H General 1 April 16th 05 12:40 AM
Moon pic Scott Vernon ASA 3 November 8th 03 01:54 AM
Night Sail, Harvest Moon JN ASA 6 November 8th 03 01:12 AM