posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default Boats

When I was just a small kid, My father, who enjoyed working with wood
but hated anything to do with the water, built me a boat. Actually
just an 8' pram. But I spent many hours learning to sail it and then
many more enjoyable days sailing it around the small bay behind our
home. One summer, when I was about 12. I painted a few houses in the
area and earned enough to buy a used sunfish. What an upgrade that was
from the little pram! With the sunfish I got my first taste of racing
and eventually moved on to larger boats, although I could never
afford one of my own. During college, I raced 505's and we did quite
well. After college I had my first real job and my first major
purchase was not a car (I had a Vespa scooter) I purchased a capri
25 racing boat, this was before Catalina turned their line of boats
into a plastic boat for the family. Eventually I got married and put
the boating on hold for awhile to raise a couple of kids who seemed to
have about as much interest in watersports as my dad did. However I
did manage to obtain a 32' Pearson which I kept for several years. I
cruised Maggie Mae along the Atlantic Coast and over to the Bahamas
on several occasions. Finally doing a solo trip to Bermuda. Where I
live in Florida, marinas were being turned in condominiums with
private docks. The cost of the few remaining boat slips was
skyrocketing, so I sold Maggie Mae. I haven't owned a boat for several
years now. However, alongside a house near our neighborhood, sits a
18' Compac on a trailer. It hasn't moved in two years. This morning
when I drove by there was a for sale sign up on the
boat....................................

posted to alt.sailing.asa

I purchased a capri
25 racing boat, this was before Catalina turned their line of boats
into a plastic boat for the family.

Catalina still makes the quick and fun Capri 22. They also ALWAYS made
plastic boats for the family. The 22 and 27 were both such boats and
their bread and butter approach they still practice today.
If you want a boat, just buy one and have fun.

RB
35s5
NY

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 22, 9:16 pm, "Capt. Rob" wrote:
I purchased a capri
25 racing boat, this was before Catalina turned their line of boats
into a plastic boat for the family.

Catalina still makes the quick and fun Capri 22. They also ALWAYS made
plastic boats for the family. The 22 and 27 were both such boats and
their bread and butter approach they still practice today.
If you want a boat, just buy one and have fun.

RB
35s5
NY

Thanks for the comments Swabbie. We always
appreciate your comments on boats you have never
sailed.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 22, 8:42 pm, Capri wrote:
[...]

Boats you can trailer make a lot of sense. I'll bet
you can pick that one up for a song. If not, there
are lots of others out there waiting for you.

Buying a boat with a trailer is always more attractive
and more expensive. You might consider buying a
boat without a trailer and modifying a trailer to carry
the boat you buy.A little bit of leg work on your
part matching a trailer to a boat will add a lot of
value--when the time comes to sell that one.

posted to alt.sailing.asa

On Sep 22, 11:33 pm, Bart wrote:
On Sep 22, 8:42 pm, Capri wrote:

[...]

Well, I made an outrageous offer for the boat and the owner
accepted it so I've got her "parked" in my back yard now.
She needs quite a bit of work. Most all cosmetic, so I can
handle all of that. There was 6hp outboard motor included which
does not work so I'll take it ny the marine mechanic that i know
to see if it is worth fixing. And the main sail and running
rigging need to be replaced. Otherwise, she seems sound.
looking forward to getting back on the water

posted to alt.sailing.asa

Bart wrote:
Boats you can trailer make a lot of sense.

Given a cheap place to park it, and a tow vehicle, a trailerable can
be great. And the Com-Pac 16 is a good choice for one, a bit on the
smallish side but easy to trailer and a very "shippy" looking vessel.

Buying a boat with a trailer is always more attractive
and more expensive.

Sure, people tend to take the trailer for granted though. Worse, a lot
of people forget tires & bearings until they have a boo-boo. Ours had
surge brakes, which added to the expense and was a maintenance hit,
but was well worth it safety-wise. The Com-Pac is small enough that it
doesn't need them.

Capri wrote:
Well, I made an outrageous offer for the boat and the owner
accepted it so I've got her "parked" in my back yard now.
She needs quite a bit of work. Most all cosmetic, so I can
handle all of that.

I recommend 3M restoring compound.
(disclaimer- I own stock in 3M)

There was 6hp outboard motor included which
does not work so I'll take it ny the marine mechanic that i know
to see if it is worth fixing. And the main sail and running
rigging need to be replaced. Otherwise, she seems sound.
looking forward to getting back on the water

A new set of sails will probably be a good investment. You'll want a
genoa and possibly a cruising spinnaker or drifter, they will add
tremendously to this boat's ability to sail in light winds. A new main
and lapper or working jib will also make a big difference to the
boat's windward ability, which frankly needs all it can get. Although
it can be fun to sail with the old ones until they blow apart... adds
excitement to the day.... generally it happens at the worst time

It sounds like you have a good idea of getting the boat in working
order and am looking forward to seeing your sailing reports!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

posted to alt.sailing.asa

take some 'before and after' pics.

SBV