posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Boats

Bart wrote:
Boats you can trailer make a lot of sense.

Given a cheap place to park it, and a tow vehicle, a trailerable can
be great. And the Com-Pac 16 is a good choice for one, a bit on the
smallish side but easy to trailer and a very "shippy" looking vessel.

Buying a boat with a trailer is always more attractive
and more expensive.

Sure, people tend to take the trailer for granted though. Worse, a lot
of people forget tires & bearings until they have a boo-boo. Ours had
surge brakes, which added to the expense and was a maintenance hit,
but was well worth it safety-wise. The Com-Pac is small enough that it
doesn't need them.

Capri wrote:
Well, I made an outrageous offer for the boat and the owner
accepted it so I've got her "parked" in my back yard now.
She needs quite a bit of work. Most all cosmetic, so I can
handle all of that.

I recommend 3M restoring compound.
(disclaimer- I own stock in 3M)

There was 6hp outboard motor included which
does not work so I'll take it ny the marine mechanic that i know
to see if it is worth fixing. And the main sail and running
rigging need to be replaced. Otherwise, she seems sound.
looking forward to getting back on the water

A new set of sails will probably be a good investment. You'll want a
genoa and possibly a cruising spinnaker or drifter, they will add
tremendously to this boat's ability to sail in light winds. A new main
and lapper or working jib will also make a big difference to the
boat's windward ability, which frankly needs all it can get. Although
it can be fun to sail with the old ones until they blow apart... adds
excitement to the day.... generally it happens at the worst time

It sounds like you have a good idea of getting the boat in working
order and am looking forward to seeing your sailing reports!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King